Life on Mars

Zoe H.

Before I left the United States, my best friend said she had a dream that I went to Mars. Now she says that Spain is my Mars. And to that I say: is there life on Mars? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZKcl4-tcuo

I of course got excited when I saw someone on Facebook post a video of the time when David Bowie himself went to Madrid. It made me feel like I was doing something that my hero would be proud of. That he would even come along. Life has felt pretty surreal since my acceptance in the program, and the last few months were spent reuniting with friends and family without quite believing I would not be seeing them again for a while. The months will go by fast though. And the last week felt like watching a film or a dream that I happened to be participating in. I had become so used to a preestablished life, that I had forgotten what it was like to go on a ride where nothing was what I knew or expected. 

What kinds of things should you do to prepare for outer space, particularly if you are prone to procrastination like I am?

• Pack at least a week in advance
    • To this I will add: learn from my mistakes. After about two intense days of packing I thought I was done, but I had also assumed I would have fifty pounds for my suitcase and an unweighed carry on like other airlines. If you went with a budget airline like I did (Norwegian airlines), I would definitely check the weight beforehand. I found out both the suitcase and carry on would be weighed, with a maximum of 20 kg and 10 kg respectively. (Technically I could go up to 32 kg, but who wants to pay 15 USD per kilo per leg of the trip?). As a book and fashion lover, I would also advise bringing as much multifunctional clothes as possible, that you can take from the street to working at school to the night scene. I would also advice sneaking as many books as possible into your personal item. Last but not least, if you are a fan of sulfate/paraben free curly hair products, I would recommend to buying them in the US and bringing them, as you can't really find them in store here. That would be my top regret.
  • Check your emails
    • I was so focused on packing and getting myself into travel mode that I almost missed my school emails. They will want to get a hold of you about a month in advance. I was not expecting this, but of course should have, since you want to be well prepared. It is helpful to read any manuals or instructions they may give you, set up orientation dates and profiles as needed, etc.
  • Review your teaching English materials
    • It's good to gather any helpful teaching English materials you can bring along, and also to make sure you follow up on any surveys/online classes you may have to sign up for. This is something I am still working on now that I've arrived, but it would be good to start at least a month in advance
  • Request a phone unlock, get an electric converter
  • Settle affairs at home such as abstentee voting ballots, calling your bank to let them know how long you will be gone, etc.
  • Do the best you can, and remember that if you have your visa and bring your own person, you're already more than halfway there

If you have made it this far, you should be proud of yourself. Getting accepted into the auxiliares program and getting a visa is not an easy thing. It might not feel real yet--but it is! You (yes you) can make your teaching abroad dream a reality. I am still getting used to life here on Mars (Madrid). and I still have to find an apartment beyond my first couple weeks of stay here. That said, I know after making it this far that I can keep on keeping on, and you can too.