Let's Talk TEFL

Lauren R.

If you’re here, you’re probably looking to get the dirt on the TEFL course (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). Well, congrats because that’s what I’m here for!

First things first, EFL is different from ESL. ESL, or English as a Second Language, is teaching English in a country where English is the primary language spoken. EFL is teaching English in a country where English is not the primary language spoken. I’m from the U.S., so here it is ESL. However, I will be teaching EFL in Spain because the primary language spoken there is Spanish, and students are taking English classes like how in the U.S. many students take Spanish classes—it is a foreign language requirement.

So maybe you’re wondering if you really need your TEFL certification to do these programs. That really comes down to what your experience is and how comfortable you feel teaching. I have a B.A. in Theatre Arts and Communications. The most teaching experience I got from those was leading group projects and the fact that I had an emphasis in directing. While those experiences would have prepared me for working with young adults, they did not give me the tools to teach children. Personally, it made sense for me to invest in the TEFL course so I would hopefully have some sense of what to do when I stepped foot in the classroom and was not one of the students.

Still not sure where you fall on wanting to take the course or not? Lucky for you, I’m a HUGE fan of pro/con lists and went ahead and made one for your reference.

Photo for blog post Let's Talk TEFL

PRO

• Your TEFL certification can be used anywhere
  • If you don’t have a background in teaching, it gives you great ideas for getting started
  • It’s a security blanket for all of you Linus’s out there
  • You have a foundation if you’re taking the “fake it til you make it” route
  • You’re not on your own—you get a highly qualified tutor to help you along, the program coordinators are wonderful, and you have a small class to interact with
  • It gives you a cultural reality check (SPOILER: not every education system in the world is set up the same way!!!)
  • It reminds you that being dumb is important sometimes because if you’re not dumb at first you don’t learn
  • It refreshes your knowledge of the technical English (let’s be real, if you’re like me the only technical English you probably remember is School House Rock’s “Conjunction Junction”)

CON

• It is an intensive course. When they say do a unit per day, they mean it or else you will get behind
  • It’s an extra $1000
  • The practicum can be hard to secure

Again, I would say it really depends on your experience and your comfort level going into a situation like this. As someone who was not necessarily comfortable teaching and ESPECIALLY not comfortable teaching children, I have found the TEFL course CIEE offers to be invaluable. I still feel nervous about not being the best teacher I can be, but I honestly would not have gone after this opportunity if I didn’t think I could handle it.

PS. I am not making any money from making the pro list longer than the con list so you know this is real.

Photo for blog post Let's Talk TEFL