Initial Thoughts About Madrid

Caroline G.

On August 20th, I climbed aboard both a red-eye flight to Spain and the experience of a lifetime.

After anxiously making sure I had all my important documents, favorite summer apparel, and dearest teddy bear, my mother and I set off to San Francisco International airport to catch our flight to Barcelona, Spain. Having never been to Spain or Europe before, I honestly had no idea what to expect. My head was full of a whirlwind of emotions, both good and bad. Was I making the right decision? Would I actually like Madrid and Spain? Could I endure a life so far away from my family and friends? Only time would tell.

Photo for blog post Initial Thoughts About Madrid

It has now been a little over two months since I arrived in Spain, and I cannot believe it. I truly adore this place and my new life here in Madrid, Spain. 

My first few weeks here were undoubtedly stressful. What move across the world wouldn’t be? House hunting was an interesting and time sensitive affair, navigating my commute to school for the first few times was scary, and just taking care of myself in a new environment was definitely an adjustment. Settling in was a process. A process which I am extremely proud of myself for handling. Now, thanks to my cozy Spanish flat and much needed arrival of Wifi, I finally get a chance to share my initial thoughts about Spain’s capital, my new home, Madrid!

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was how lively of a city Madrid is. It surely proves its position as the central hub of Spain. No matter what time or day of the week it is, there is always people out and about. Whether I am in the multicultural and historic neighborhood of La Latina, or Malasaña—Madrid’s hippest neighborhood—I am always accompanied by Madrid's energetic residents and visitors. People here are active! 

Another feature of Madrid is its countless food options. I am often shocked and a bit overwhelmed by how many bars and restaurants there are here. During my first few days at CIEE orientation, we learned that Spain as a whole has more bars than all of the United States combined. In retrospect, I am not surprised by this statistic at all. Madrid and its food vendors sure know how to pamper their residents. The prices here are also very reasonable.

A third and noteworthy characteristic to Madrid is many of its residents’ different yet impressive way of life. Coming from the states and especially California, I had been surrounded by the "live to work" ideology which many Americans stand for. In Spain, I have quickly learned that for many, work does not always need to be one’s main concern. Instead, many Spaniards know how to support a balanced and enjoyable life. As locals go out for a tapa or two after work, catch up with one another over wine, and maintain an efficient yet relaxed routine, I admire their “work to live” demonstration. 

My final first impression about Madrid was concerning its weather. To put it shortly, I quickly learned that Madrid is a very, very hot place, at least during this time of year. It may not feel extremely hot to most people, but being a girl from the Bay Area whose used to fog and mild heat, I feel Madrid’s weather is hot. In my defense, Madrid is considered a dry region because of its positioning a ways away from the ocean and especially during this time of year. During my first few days here we also received a few brief yet powerful hail storms which were…interesting. Despite often discomfort while taking the boiling underground Metro or walking on the street, I am slowly learning to appreciate Madrid’s heat. 

I am eager to see how these initial thoughts of mine on Madrid will expand and even change as my time here unfolds. Madrid is certainly a very beautiful, lively place, and I am ecstatic to call it home.