I Just Want My Package

Austin C.

Although this blog post is long overdue, I wanted to make certain that everything was settled. That there was nothing left to do. That, in their opinion, everything was paid in full (which it was, but my paranoid side thought that they could add more charges to my order despite having picked it up two weeks ago). So, without further ado…

Over a month ago, I asked my parents to send a small package with a few items: three ESL books, a Spanish grammar book, some winter running clothes, a blanket, and a Bible. I obviously wanted more stuff, but it would have cost too much. I thought that was weird because I had remembered shipping a very large box full of heavy textbooks and knick-knacks from Spain two years ago. It only cost 90 euros then, and I didn’t have to pay any extra US customs fee or do anything to get my package home. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

This package was sent on October 23. Once it arrived in Madrid, all the madness, or should I call it Spanish Customs, began. First came a text message prompting me to follow a hyperlink to the Customs website. After creating an account and entering my package number, I had to enter all my personal information: name and address of importer, sender, and beneficiary, package number, classification of contents (gift, merchandise, etc.), and identification number. I’m sure that they asked for more information, but I cannot recall all they asked for. Nevertheless, from reading the first page I immediately realized that I wouldn’t see my package for quite some time. Mind you, all this was in Spanish, so in addition to learning the weird customs vocabulary in English, I was also in Spanish.  

Then, I took almost two weeks on the second and third pages. It required me to declare all the items in the package and their worth. On the next page, they wanted me to download the customs form with all my information on it and to print it in order to sign the bottom. I then had to scan and upload the signed document back onto the website. By the way, I didn’t have printing services near me, so all of this was happening in downtown Madrid (translation: very far away from where I live).

In addition to the form, I had to upload a copy of my identification, which I was told could be my visa. However, they didn’t accept my identification. And do you know why? It was because I was not registered with the Spanish Tax Agency. To do that, I would’ve had to register my NIE (the number on my visa) and claim the package by reporting its value and paying all taxes attached to it. In other words, a long, laborious process that I couldn’t even fathom completing at the time. Mind you also, I had a deadline of November 19 to turn in all documents correctly or else they would keep my stuff. As you can imagine, it just seemed to me like two things: either my package was destined to be taken by Customs or I was cursed to go through yet another bureaucratic process.

Needless to say, I was very confused, angry, annoyed, and sad all at once. In the end, it was my teacher who helped me bypass all the red tape. Apparently, you can get your package quicker as a foreigner if you just have a national citizen (that was my Spanish colleague) to act as your importer. So, after taking down and uploading her information, they cleared my package and it arrived at the local Post Office in a week: November 23. I paid the accompanying taxes, and that was it. All that for some used clothes and books.

In conclusion, you should remember some key advice before leaving to teach: if you are not willing to fit it in your carry-on or luggage, it’s probably not that important to you. Besides, you can buy a substitute when you arrive. Just save yourself the trouble and spend some money when you arrive in your host country.