I can't believe I am actually here!

Teach in Thailand Program

Caitlin T.

Sawadee ka!

My name is Caitlin. I am teaching p1 science, math and English at Anuban Saraburi School in Saraburi, Thailand! I am from Springfield, Illinois and recently graduated from the University of West Florida with a degree in Elementary Education! Prior to graduating college I knew that when I graduated I wanted to step out of my comfort zone and experience something totally different than what I was used to. I felt stuck in my comfort zone and I was eager to break through. Being an education major, teaching abroad seemed to be the perfect way to do so. Teaching is one of my life passions. I love working with kids and seeing the joy in their eyes when they learn something new or accomplish a goal. This opportunity allows me to mix my passion for teaching with my newly found passion for traveling and learning about new cultures. 

Prior to this experience I would not have described myself as an avid traveler. Up until a few years ago I had never been abroad, never been on an airplane for longer than a few hours, and I had definitely never lived away from home for a year straight. So the idea of moving to a foriegn country where I don’t speak the language, and know little about the culture was very intimidating. It still is intimidating, especially when I walk into a new place in my province and all eyes are on me because I'm a 6ft woman from America haha. 

In the months leading up to my departure I thought, “ What if it's too much?” “What if I am not ready?” It's a huge change, these thoughts are normal, they are expected. You don’t have to be an avid traveler for this experience, you don’t have to be wildly cultured. However, you do have to be open-minded and willing to embrace all of the new opportunities that lie ahead. If you do that (or at least attempt to) you will find yourself in the most beautiful places with the most amazing people. While I have only been here for a month, I have felt myself becoming more open to the unknown, more curious and willing to let go of my reservations and welcome new experiences.

I'm so excited to share my journey with you. When I was deciding what I wanted to do after graduating I kept finding myself drawn to reading these blogs. Reading about everyone's amazing adventures and unreal experiences helped solidify my decision to teach abroad. I hope to have the same effect on the future travelers reading my posts:)