I Broke Off My Engagement and Moved Across the World.

Taran S.

Did that get your attention? Excellent, well I’m glad that you found my post! Look, I’m not going to tell you my life story, and I’m not going to tell you how to live yours. My intention in writing this is simply to say that if you are considering making a huge life change, you should trust your instincts and take the leap. If you are reading this, I know that you are at least considering an experience living in another country. And I suggest you don’t spend too much time trying to talk yourself out of it. Instead, I urge you to ask yourself only one thing: why not? Sometimes, you just feel a pull to do something. You could choose to let it live forever as a daydream floating around in the back of your brain, OR you could bring that idea to life.

At this time last year, I was in a much different position. My life was completely intertwined with someone else’s, and our relationship was unraveling. I felt like my personal growth was being obstructed, but I didn’t know what I needed or wanted. One thing that I knew for certain was that I wanted to get out of Texas. I wanted to go somewhere that was so unlike any place that I had experienced before, just to see what it might bring out of me. I wouldn’t call it “starting over”, I would just call it… starting. Living on my own terms without considering anyone or anything else. Being comfortable in my wisdom and confident in who I am.

If you are finding yourself in a place of uncertainty, bear this in mind: you are not defined by your obligations or your attachments. The most important attachment that you have is the one you have to yourself. How will you honor yourself and your desires? If you don’t take the overseas job, will you be able to swallow the truth that completely unknown joys are waiting for you out there and you chose not to seek them out? And if not now, when? When the time is perfect? But what if the time will never be perfect? What if this is the perfect time and you just don’t realize it because you’re nervous at the thought of making such a big change?

Whatever it is that you are afraid of losing - be it quality time with your friends and family, access to your favorite restaurants and brands, your community - those things and those people aren’t going anywhere. Whenever you come back home, even if it is just for a visit, the people and the place will hold you just the same. And when you think about it, it truly is a gift to have a place so dear to you that you are sad to leave it. But that is just it when it comes to traveling - you will see new places and find glimpses of home in them - and you will be sad to leave. The most important thing is to not fear losses more than you desire gains. And let me tell you, I’ve gained so much more than I have lost.

So if you were looking for a sign, this is it. Apply for the teaching job, okay? Do it, like…now. Before you change your mind.

Peace and Love,

T