How to Survive Abroad: 5 General Rules to Follow

Austin C.

“How do I live abroad? Will I be noticed for being too ‘American’? Can I survive and thrive in my new environment?” These questions and many more were going around in my head before departing for Madrid. Although I’ve lived in Spain before, I still do many things incorrectly or flat-out wrong. However, there are some general rules, which I follow myself, that you should abide by when approaching life in a foreign country:

1. Keep your documentation safe and persevere through the process of being legal.

I think that the first part needs no explanation. However, if you’ve had my luck and have had to go to the government so that they register your VISA properly, then you’re probably a little depressed, to say the least. You probably think that God, the universe, aliens or even your host country’s government is trying to make it so that you don’t teach. You may feel like giving up or going home. Well, don’t think that. You’ll just lose your cool. Always remember why you came here and what you’re hoping to achieve. Also, just stay on top of everything, even if the actual government isn’t. Finally, if you don’t understand something, ASK, ASK, ASK. Don’t leave the situation until you fully comprehend what is going on.

2. Follow (and deal with) local rules and customs, even if you don’t agree with them.

Okay, so, there is a story attached to this. A few weeks ago, I was in Madrid doing some touring and errands. On the metro I was carrying my backpack on my back like I had for a few weeks. And, mind you, no one had ever said a word to me, and some even broke the no-backpack-on-back rule too. But, when I got on this car, a lady scolded (you read correctly), scolded me for carrying my pack behind me. I would have never have truly understood the meaning of the word “scold” if I had not ‘meet’ that woman. Of course, I was stunned. I looked around and saw several people with backpacks on their back. But she wasn’t talking to those people. She was talking to me. So, like a nice person, I admitted that I was wrong and put it in front of me. Yet nothing was said to them. Here comes in the “dealing with” local rules and customs. Sometimes you just got to admit you’re wrong and do it the right way, despite the other wrong-doers.

3. Maintain your negative opinions of your host country and culture to yourself…or at least, to those of true confidence.

This too has a story. But the short of it is that I was talking with my coworker and her friend (non-Americans) about America. And well, the conversation devolved into them telling me about all the problems with the United States. I kindly listened, but I couldn’t help feeling a little attacked and judged without being truly heard. Despite your feelings about the United States, I think that you’ll agree that your aura of open-mindedness and friendliness when abroad is very dependent on your language and how you choose to address people and their culture. Something that can be even more problematic if you don’t speak the language very well.  Even so, the people in your host country are very likely aware of their own problems. Therefore, be willing to talk about your country, but be slow to pass judgment on others. Who knows. You just might feel differently after some time.

4. Always have a game or quick activity in the back of the mind and bring some authentic materials from your country that reflect your reality at home.

I know that it’s hard to always be on your toes and keep up with the teachers and kids, but I can’t tell you how many times I was saved by some activity or game I remember learning during school or my ESL training. It’s important to be engaged and ready to help because your teachers want you to be. They need authenticity that ONLY YOU can provide. Therefore, show them some authentic games or materials from the United States. They will appreciate you more for it, and the kids will take your culture more seriously when you do.

5. Be outgoing and willing to meet new people.

Okay, this final one is probably a no-brainer for some. For me, I still find myself hesitant to meet new people. Although I like new people, it’s the effort that’s difficult. I grow comfortable with the people that I know and can’t always find that extra jolt of energy to go out there. However, without making the effort it’s very unlikely that you’ll ever learn the language and culture better. You won’t have a resource of locals who know more than you and can help you along. And you might even miss out on some great friendships. So, put your hand out, say, “hello”, and get to know someone. 

I know, I know. This post was very long (879 words), but I hope that you stuck with it. Remember, teaching abroad is what you make of it. So, keep at it and don’t give up if you don’t have it perfect. You can always go at it again.