How to Enjoy the Outdoors in Thailand

Kyle V.

How to Enjoy the Outdoors in Thailand

Thailand is a beautiful country. It’s got mountains. It’s got jungles. It’s got beaches. It’s got it all. It’s got so much you need to be selective about where you want to see because if you try to go everywhere you will probably run out of time. Here are some of the best ways to get out into nature.

Hiking in Chiang Mai

Photo for blog post How to Enjoy the Outdoors in Thailand

Hiking in the mountainous jungles of Chiang Mai is beautiful. When you hike in Thailand you often get to experience the culture as well as nature because there are many hikes in and around remote temples. Some of the top hikes in Chiang Mai are the Doi Pui to Doi Suthep Hike, Huay Tung Tao Circular Hike, and the Doi Inthanon Nature Trail. These are great ways to get out into the jungle and see the mountains of Northern Thailand. Be sure to bring plenty of bug spray and sunscreen because both the sun and the bugs are relentless.

Visiting the Sticky Waterfalls

Some of Thailand’s most famous waterfalls are the “sticky waterfalls” about an hour outside of Chiang Mai. In order to get there, you have to trek pretty far out. The best ways to get there are either a red tourist Songthaw in the city or a motorbike. We rented a motorbike and drove ourselves. It is a relatively safe and easy drive, especially once you get out of the city. When you arrive, you enter a small parking lot where you then begin your small descent down to the waterfall. Once you are at the bottom, you can begin your ascent through the falls. They have a rope attached to the rocks to help you climb. Nothing says adventure like walking about a waterfall in Thailand.

Kayaking in Khao Sok

While the north of Thailand is beautiful, the South is equally beautiful. Khao Sok national park is picturesque. It’s famous for wild elephants roaming the roads. But what is truly beautiful is the Cheo Lan lake. It is a man-made lake used to create electricity but remains gorgeous despite its machine function. If you really want to experience the lake, then you can rent one of the lakeside bungalows and set up a boating or kayaking expedition for your trip.

Scuba Diving in the Phi Phi Islands

Another of Thailand’s most beloved sites is the Phi Phi islands. It is known for the grandeur of the crystal blue water, white sand, and emerald pillars shaped islands emerging from the sea. But while there is plenty to see above water, there is also a lot to see beneath the surface. If you want to swim with the fishes, then you should set up a scuba trip. There are plenty of reputable companies offering trips. You will have to get certified either through PADI or SSI. You can complete the course in the US or Thailand, but it will take you several days to complete it wherever you are.

Rock Climbing Krabi

Finally, if you are looking to climb a mountain, then you should head to Krabi where you can hit the crags. Well, you won’t quite be climbing mountains, but you will be making your way up the emerald gems sticking out of this part of Thailand. You can do plenty of bouldering and top roping in this beautiful region. If you have you’re own gear and are experienced, you could connect with locals and go with them. If you have less experience, it is best to go with a group and a guide. Half of rock climbing is understanding where the routes are, and you will need local knowledge and the adequate safety gear they provide to climb safely.

Conclusion:

Take advantage of your time in Thailand, there is plenty to see and do while you are here. Whether you like the land or the sea you can get your fix for adventure in the Land of Smiles.