Getting Around Thailand

Teach in Thailand Program

Molly C.

I remember feeling very anxious when I arrived in Bangkok. Normally a bustling airport brings me joy, but I knew that the streets of Bangkok reflected the inside of BKK. So when I eventually stepped foot outside, I was hit with loads of traffic, too many sectors of Bangkok to count, and a language I was too scared to test out. This made many things seem scary, but the most daunting for me was navigation. Now, even though I still get some things messed up and continue to feel nervous, I can confidently say that I have a strong grasp on transportation around Thailand. Here are some of the things I learned along the way: 

*please keep in mind everything is dependent on your placement! Not every place in Thailand offers the same modes of transportation.

There are four major ways of getting around: walking, public transportation (think buses, tuktuks), Taxis/ Grabs/ Bolts, and your personal motorbike/ car. 

Walking

When navigating yourself around town, use Google Maps, NOT Apple Maps! Things will say they exist, when actually they do not. I have been much more successful on Google than Apple. 

As previously mentioned, everything is dependent on where you are placed! Though, out of the ways of transportation, walking is the most transient among all places. It is a common and great way of getting around, but make sure to keep in mind how hot it is… 

What I have found is that in making your way to your destination, the sidewalks will be very interesting. They will have been made around trees, and because of this bricks going out in many different directions. As well, keep your head constantly moving, looking down, up, around because there can be all sorts of things going on: low hanging telephone wires, little critters wandering, cars/motorbikes zooming by… don't want to get caught by any of those!

I will say walking is great for shorter distances, and I personally prefer to stay on busy roads as the sidewalks are a bit better. Good luck! 

Tree

Public Transportation 

Public transportation can be the best way of getting around while also saving money. Buses around Thailand are very common and easily accessible. When trying to figure out where your local bus station can take you, make sure you go in person and ask. I have found that there are little to no websites for bus stations and if they do exist, the information isn't always accurate. 

Using websites like 12goasia or rome2rio are helpful in figuring out how to get around town, but again, I recommend purchasing your ticket in person at a counter because it will give you the most accurate knowledge and best price. 

Another form of transportation that I love, are tuktuks! They can range from holding three people to a whole back of a truck which can hold up to 20. Tuktuks are more of a trolley, they take you in the direction that you want, not to your exact location. But for the price you pay, in my town its 10thb, it is definitely worth it! 

I will say, there are some downsides to taking public transportation. It can have unreliable times and be very crowded. Also, the language barrier is very apparent in traveling. We almost always utilize google translate just to make sure were headed the right way! My friends and I have a running joke that if you give us two chances, we will succeed. The first may be a failure, but the second will definitely be a success. Always need a trial run in Thailand! 

tuktuk!

Taxis + Grab + Bolt

As common as Uber and Lyft are in the United States, Grab and Bolt are here. They are both used as transportation services and at a much lower cost than the expense they are in the United States. These services are very convenient and definitely a good way to get around town if you can’t find a bus. Within Grab and Bolt you have the option to order a car or a motorbike. I am always the advocate for a motorbike as most towns have a fair amount of traffic and the drivers are able to weave you through to close the time by 10 minutes. 

When hopping in someone else's car, please keep some things in mind: be respectful and flexible! I've been in cars where the driver's children are in the car, or they have to pick up a family member along the way. If it is not urgent, let it slide. Also, the driver will probably be on their phone. As you can see on the photo of me and my friend, our driver is checking where he's going. Just laugh it off... 

Motorbike

Personal Transportation 

Lastly, what has become a common mode of transportation for teachers is their own motorbike or car. A fair amount of people I know have been gifted a motorbike or have rented one themselves. I think this is a really great way to get around, especially if you’re in a smaller town and trust yourself! Because I live in a big city, I do not feel comfortable navigating the roads. I have attempted in smaller towns, but I just know that it is not for me. If you like adrenaline / are confident in your abilities, definitely test it out! It is affordable and really convenient having your own ride. 

If you do choose to take this route, I would recommend two things: buying a helmet and an international driver’s license. Taking a car / motorbike to a different part of the country is a nice luxury that I wish I had! But in many cases people do get pulled over by the police just for looking foreign, and if you do not have an international license you will be fined. So to avoid that, look into having a license! 

Helmet head