Get to Know Me!

Lauren S.

@cieeteach Have you thought about moving abroad to teach in Thailand? Here’s a little bit about my experience making tne decision to teach abroad with CIEE! Cant wait to share more! #cieeteachabroadprogram #cieeteachinthailand ♬ original sound - CIEE TEFL + Teach Abroad

Sitting in an airport about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime, I wanted to introduce myself! I feel so blessed to be teaching English in Thailand with CIEE for these next 6 months. After completing my TEFL certification, I feel prepared and eager to get in the classroom and immerse myself in a new culture. Excited as I am, it has been a journey getting here.

A young woman in a black dress with a sash that says "Arkansas" in front of a blue background

I recently graduated from the University of Arkansas with my Bachelor's degree in Art History and am a self-proclaimed nerd. Is it weird that I miss doing homework? I loved my time in college and even served as the 2022 Miss Arkansas Collegiate. During my senior year, as I began to prepare for post-grad life, I felt lost with what to do after graduation. Most of my friends were going to graduate schools across the United States, and while I do plan to get my master's degree, I did not feel ready to jump back into more research. I had studied abroad in Italy for a semester and had an itch to travel again. My friends told me about a program that allows you to travel while teaching English for a gap year. Why not give it a try? 
         And now, here I am! Because I have never taught before, I completed CIEE's TELF 150-hour program with a 20-hour practicum. I worked full-time at an adventure park and lived in staff housing over the summer, so I worried about having time to complete the course. Coincidentally, some of my coworkers are also teaching with CIEE in Spain! The TEFL program is well-paced, and the support staff is excellent at encouraging you and answering questions. It has definitely helped me feel more prepared to go to Thailand. 

6 women in blue helmets posing in front a wooden tower

Well, my flight leaves soon, so I better find my gate! Wish me luck, and I will be back with another blog and more updates soon!