Favorite Places in San Lorenzo: Food and Drinks

Austin C.

What do you like to eat and drink? This question came to my mind while I strolled past the restaurants, bars, and cafeterías that I frequent in my town. Naturally, I thought that it would be a great topic for a blog post. Therefore, if you ever find yourself in San Lorenzo and need a drink or a bite to eat, you should consider these places.

1. Cafetín Croche

Description: Cafetín Croche is not a normal cafetería where you go to have breakfast nor have the first coffee of the day. It’s reminiscent of a café that you might find in Paris, with its Art Nouveau, quant furniture and early 20th-century jazz music. It’s a place to relax after a long day and to sip expensive drinks with your friends. If you want to have an aesthetically as well as sensorially pleasing experience, you must stop here. It’s worth the price.

What to go for: An “adult” drink or one of their specialty coffees (which contain alcohol too)

Where: Calle San Lorenzo, 6, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Price: A bottle of wine is expensive, so you should go for a small cup of any drink. A specialty coffee will cost more than a normal one, but they are delicious. 

Hours: 12:15 pm to 2:00 am everyday

Photo for blog post Favorite Places in San Lorenzo: Food and Drinks

1. Cafetería or Pastelería Alaska

Description: This is a great place to get that morning coffee before exploring the parks, trekking the trails, or admiring the Monasterio in San Lorenzo. The treats are yummy, the coffee is good, and the service is excellent. You can’t go wrong here. If you like it, you can come back to Restaurante Alaska for lunch. They have a decent-priced and filling menu del día (13 euros weekdays and 17 euros weekends). 

What to go for: Everything

Where: Calle Juan de Leyva, 2, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Price: It depends on what you want to eat or drink, but everything is affordable and tasty. You will not break the bank here.

Hours: The funny thing is that there are no hours online, so I will give you a rough estimate based off when I have seen them open and closed.

7:00 am to 10:00 pm everyday

1. ku4Tro.

Description: Here is a popular, modern bar in the town square. The atmosphere is quite comfortable and intimate. Ku4Tro was designed for casual wine-drinking and eating tapas. If you like relaxing, sipping drinks and chatting with friends, this place is a must.

What to go for: Wine or any other “adult” drink

Where: Calle Floridablanca, 28, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial

Price: I don’t have a specific number. Of course, if you buy something older or more flavorful, you are going to pay more. However, this place is not one of those bars meant to be out of reach for certain economic groups. I’ve seen all types of people go there, so sit back and enjoy a drink.

Hours: 8:00 am to 1:00 am everyday

1. La churrería de San Lorenzo

Description: Being a small hole-in-the-wall (or in this case, a staircase) establishment, it’s easy to overlook this place. However, you shouldn’t miss these delicious treats, especially if you have a sweet tooth. Since there is no room to sit, you have to take them to go, which is a great excuse to munch on churros in the shade of the town hall.  

What to go for: The churros

Where: Calle del Rey, 7, 28200 San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Madrid

Price: Outrageously inexpensive! They practically are giving them away. A dozen normal-sized churros are less than 3 euros!

Hours: 7 am to 12 pm Wednesday through Monday, closed Tuesdays