Escuela en Las Rozas

Briana H.

Photo for blog post Escuela en Las Rozas

Working in Las Rozas

It has offically been one month since I have started working as an auxiliar at my school in Las Rozas. Las Rozas is an area outside the Community of Madrid, where I can see the mountains from my school and if I want to find a pretty patio to have a café con leche at, I can find one easily. I love working outside the city center as I am able to experience Spain from a different perspective and explore new areas that I typically wouldn't discover living in the center. 

It has taken me awhile to write this as my schedule has been changed multiple times due to some COVID related issues that affected my class schedules. Right now, school looks very different than before COVID-19. The students have to stay at a distance from each other and I can't give them "high-fives" or "hugs" if they are performing well in the classroom. I enjoy giving positive feedback to my students; however, I have found different ways to give positive affirmation on behalf of their success in the classroom. 

If I had to give a couple tips when working at your school, it would be this: Be as flexible as possible. The schools are very relaxed here and you have to be open to the idea of being placed or moved around to multiple classes when you're least expecting it. Also, say "YES" to your teachers when they ask you to get coffee. Even if they ask you to lunch, say yes. For Spanairds, creating relationships is so important and you can make a lasting impact on their lives, as well as your own if you are flexible and willing to create friendships. 

School, Students & Las Rozas

I work with three different teachers at my school, across six different classes, with an average of 20 students per class. The first couple of weeks were difficult as learning over 80 new faces can be a bit of a challenge. I help in three different types of classes (English, Science, and Art) throughout the week, but again, my schedule changes each day. My students are five and six years old. We start the day off by going through our morning routines, which include the days of the week, months of the year, and the weather. I like to include a lot of different videos and songs in order for the kids to remain engaged and participate during the class. For Halloween I was asked to prepare a presentation about the holiday along with games and fun activities for the class. I enjoyed sharing cultural comparisons between how Americans celebrate Halloween and how Spain celebrates Día de Los Santos. I had the opportunity to show my students pictures from my home and share with them how my family celebrates and prepares for Halloween. It was such a treat!

My job is very rewarding. I learn so much from my students and co-workers, as much as they learn from me. My students are full of energy with an eagerness to learn. This means means no two days are the same and everyday comes with its victories and challenges. Overall, I love my job at the school and seeing my students improve a little each day is for sure the most rewarding thing!  

The students get two 15 min breaks throughout the course of the day. During this time I enjoy practicing my Spanish with my teachers or having a small snack while taking in some of the mountainous views and landscapes. On a typical day, I normally finish the day around 1:15PM- 1:45PM. On Tuesday's and Thursday's I stay after school until around 3PM to give private lessons to students. Before my lessons I will typically wander up into the Las Rozas Village and grab a "café con leche" and study up on my own Spanish skills. On other days, I go on several walks around the area and explore areas I would never have explored if it wasn't for my placement in Las Rozas. My village has many things to do and places to visit. I look forward to more explorations and discovering more of Spain's beauty!