The Best Ways to Experience Koh Chang: Thailand's Often Overlooked Island.

Teach in Thailand Program

Ava B.

One of the obvious lures to teaching in Thailand is the opportunity to see picturesque landscapes, stunning islands, lush jungles, and vast forests. Before coming to Thailand, like many others, I was intrigued by the iconic and instagrammable beaches of Phuket, Krabi, and Koh Samui. As a teacher in the Eastern region of Thailand, I quickly discovered that these idealistic islands can be trickier to reach- especially for a weekend during the busy season. 

When my Thai school had a short holiday for the late King Bhumibol's birthday, me and my fellow foreign teachers decided to forsake the well-trekked Southern islands in favor of Koh Chang, an island located off the South Eastern-most region of Trat, just a stone's throw away from the coast of Cambodia. 

Although the third largest island on Thailand, Koh Chang is often overlooked by tourists because of the long journey East required to reach its shores. Although I wasn't initially expecting much, after spending an idealistic 3 days on this underrated island, I can confidently state that this tropical, adventurous paradise is perfect for a long weekend (or longer holiday), and should be on any traveler's list of must-see places in Thailand. 

Here are a few things to experience in Koh Chang to ensure that your journey leaves you with memories (and photos) to last a lifetime. 

#1 Enjoy the Beautiful Beaches and Epic Sunsets

From the laid-back atmosphere of Khlong Prao beach, to the quirky bars of Lonely beach, to the crystal-clear water of White Sand Beach, there are many picturesque shores to explore on Koh Chang. Luckily, the majority of the beaches lie on the West side of the island, making them ideal spots for picture perfect sunsets that last for hours. 

Three women laughing at White Sand Beach at Sunset

#2 Hike to Khlong Phlu Waterfall

Although Koh Chang is far from being un-trekked territory, the island is still home to the massive National Park Mu Koh Chang, which includes ample trails for hiking. For adventure-seekers, there are day-long hikes that climb to the top of Koh Chang's peaks and iconic island overlooks. For my group, we opted to hike a 30-minute trail to Khlong Phlu Waterfall, where we were able to enjoy the sights and sounds of the jungle before taking a cool dip in the fresh-water falls. 

Me and my boyfriend smiling in front of a waterfall with the sign "Khlong Phlu Waterfall"

#3 Enjoy a Drink with a View at Kai Bai Viewpoint

Sometimes the best way to see the island of Koh Chang is from above. Hop on one of the many tuk tuks on the island or take a motorbike to the Kai Bai Viewpoint. While you gaze upon the stunning views of the crystal clear water, you can also grab a drink or a pastry at the coffee shop located close to the outlook. 

Two people with coca-cola drinks overlooking the ocean.

#4 Visit the Salak Phet Mangrove Forest

Nestled all the way on the South end of the island is the Salak Phet Mangrove Forest. The forest contains hundreds of stunning mangrove trees in their natural habitat. Along with the ample trees, you can also expect to see many different types of native flora and fauna. Walking along the wooden red bridge takes you on a journey through thick groves, stunning panoramic views of the island, and an ending dock overlooking the surrounding ocean. 

Red Bridge at Salak Phet Mangrove forest.
#5 Experience the Local Temples

Although far from the famous temples of Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai, Koh Chang has its own magnificent temples to explore. Many of the temples on the island are tucked away, so the best way to see them is by tuk tuk or motorbike. Because most people on the island are often in beach attire, many of the temples offer sarongs for rent for a small charge. 

A colorful temple with naga flanking the staircase.
#6 Kayak to and Snorkel at the Surrounding Islands 

Located just a few miles from mainland Koh Chang lay three smaller islands: Koh Man Nok, Koh Pli, and Koh Yuak. These islands are fairly tiny, encompassing only small stretches of secluded beaches. To get to the islands, we rented kayaks from Lonely Beach and embarked on the sea for a few hours. If you venture to Koh Yuak, make sure to bring snorkels with you to enjoy the incredible coral reef systems just off the shore of Silent Beach. The journey to the islands is a bit challenging, so if you'd rather have a relaxing day, there are many boat tours that will take you out to these small islands.

A group of friends on kayaks off of Lonely Beach, Koh Chang.
#6 Grab a Drink at a Funky Beach Bar

Koh Chang has a wide variety of nightlife, and is home to many iconic bars with a relaxed and unique atmosphere. Once the sun goes down, head to Lonely Beach or White Sand Beach to enjoy the night life scene and grab a drink with incredible views of the beaches and lush jungles after dark. 

Jellyfish lights illuminating a beach bar at night.
#7 Watch a Beach-side Fire Show

While you're enjoying a drink on the beach, you might get lucky and encounter the traveling group of fire performers that traverse the island of Koh Chang. The group of 7 men make their way around the various beaches every night and perform for the tourists. Their show was interactive and entertaining, and the performers were interested in talking to our group afterwards. We were able to practice our Thai and learn about their lives as fire performers. Make sure to support their show by donating after the show concludes.

Three Fire performers twirling flaming torches.
#8 Take away Endless Memories and Stunning Photos

From the warm beaches to the lush jungles to the dozens of beach swings around the island, Koh Chang is an ideal spot for adventurers as well as travelers looking for a relaxing weekend on the beach. No matter where you end up on Koh Chang, you'll leave with memories (and gorgeous photos) to last a lifetime. 

Two people sitting on a beach swing with a sunset in the background.