Being sick in a foreign language

MariaElena K.

There comes a time in every Auxes' life abroad when they must face a challenge so great that it shows what they are truly made of. No it is not finding housing, or locking down a TIE appointment. This challenge is taxing on the mind, soul and body. This challenge is one that anyone who faces it struggles but comes out smiling on the other side. 

I am, of course, talking about being sick in a foreign language. 

Something I wish no other Aux or person abroad ever has to go through. Maybe I’m dramatic but being sick is one of the worst feelings there is. Even more so when you're away from everything comforts you in a time like this. 

So, how do you survive? How do you get through teaching while feeling awful? How do you run your errands? How do you do anything? 

Well, if you’re like me you will ignore any bad feelings until your body makes you not ignore them anymore. I’m quickly learning that the habits I’ve brought from home don’t really work here in Spain. 

When you are sick abroad I want you to be honest with yourself and those around you. You need to take care of you. Remember you can always make up teaching hours if need be.  Voice that you aren’t feeling well and hopefully your coordinating teachers are like mine and will ask if they can do anything for you. Take the hugs they offer, it will remind you to call your loved ones and tell them what's going on. Go see an English speaking doctor. They are very nice. Take the medicine they prescribe. Sleep for as long as you need. Watch something to make you laugh.  listen to a great album. Drink lots of water. Give yourself grace especially when you panic. 

Last week was tough. If I’m being honest I was utterly miserable. I missed every single thing about being home. My favorite soup, my comfort movie that isn’t available in Spain, even the gross orange medicine I get from Walgreens. The list goes on and on. The good news is I’m no longer sick. The better news is I have some new remedies and lessons that will help me get through the next time. 

The sun shines in some way. Finding the light is part of the journey. Stay healthy!