8 LESSONS I LEARNED WHILE LIVING IN MOROCCAN HOUSING

Elizabeth M.

There is no heat. Beware and prepare! During the winter, our apartment is routinely between 45 degrees and 60 degrees.

Dust. It appears more quickly than you can imagine and it seemingly comes out of nowhere. We invested in microfiber clothes to take care of this one.

Hot water is scarce. If you don’t take a quick shower, then you’ll be rinsing the conditioner out of your hair with freezing cold water. Realistically, the hot water heaters are pretty small and only last about 10 minutes on full heat. So, plan accordingly.

Dishes. As always, they suck. Try to set a schedule or a rotation in the beginning and stick to it.

Laundry. It takes a couple of days from start to finish. 

Furnished apartments.  They're a blessing and a curse. Furnished sounds great, but for us it came in the form of Cars and Spiderman wallpaper, warped pots and pans, and dirty carpets. We did luck out and were given a traditional Moroccan living room, beautiful sunset views, good water pressure, lots of space, and in-unit laundry.

It's also safe to assume that if something doesn't feel quite right, its best to ask your contact at the school or your landlord directly. Usually, there is something that can be done about it!