10 THINGS I WISH I WOULD HAVE BROUGHT WITH ME

Elizabeth M.
  1. Those $3 Old Navy flip flops
    • These always come in handy as shower shoes while traveling, but are great to slip on to wear around the house.
  2. Dr. Bronner’s Soap
    • It's great to have around! It can be used as shampoo, body wash, and even for cleaning laundry when traveling.
  3. Something between a backpack and a cross body purse.
    • It has been hard to travel only with a normal sized backpack and a small crossbody; one is too big and the other is too small. I wish I had brought like a larger zip tote crossbody to hold more without being too bulky on my back.
  4. My favorite sweatshirt hoodie and sweatpants.
    • Our apartment is routinely around 50 degrees Fahrenheit and we are always bundled up in our thickest leggings and layered sweaters. But, if I had my favorite old sweatshirts from home, I would be wearing the heck out of them!
  5. Creature comforts.
    • I'm talking like my favorite Crystal Light drinks, candies, and maybe even a candle. It's kind of crazy how a small thing like my favorite candle could be so soothing. 
  6. Beauty products
    • I'm talking your favorite moisturizer, facial cleanser, nail polish, or mascara. I have found some products that have become my new favorites, but sometimes there's just nothing like something you're used to!
  7.  My favorite pillow case
    • You can buy pillowcases here, but they are basic. So, if you want your favorite silk or satin pillowcase, be sure to bring it with you!
  8.  Rain boots or shoes
    • There is a rainy season here in Morocco between mid January and mid March. So, bring comfortable shoes that are rain repellant and that could easily be worn in and out of the classroom. Your average rubber rain boots would work out of the classroom, but maybe not so much in the classroom. I didn't bring anything like this and I regret it every time it rains. Also, to note that I have been unable to find shoes above the equivalent of about U.S. women's size 9 1/2. 
  9.  Quick drying towels
    • During the rainy season clothes take about 3 days to dry on the drying rack that we have set up in front of a window in our living room...towels take 5 or more. I would also suggest bringing more than one quick drying towel or buying a few when you arrive in-country.
  10. High-quality shoes
    • I recommend bringing a few pairs of shoes and to make sure they are of high quality because you'll be wearing them a lot. I suggest bringing a pair of shower shoes, tennis shoes, waterproof boots, supportive sandals (like Chaco or Birkenstock), a pair of loafers (like Sperry), and sneakers that you can dress up or down (like Superga).

Hope this helps!

Stay Searching,

Elizabeth