internships 101: advice, tips & tricks for success

AIC Internships

Internships are an important way to gain practical skills in the workplace and you have the added benefit of experiencing one abroad. We’ve included some first-day workplace hacks to get your Internship Placement off to a great start and help you make the most of this amazing professional and cultural opportunity.

Do your homework

One of the most important things that you can do before beginning your internship is to learn about the company and the industry that you’ll be working in. What kind of wardrobe will you be expected to wear? What is the history of the company? Who are their competitors? Armed with this knowledge, you’ll head into your first day comfortable and confident to hit the ground running.

Network in person and online

Friendly and enthusiastic personalities go a long way in an office environment. Take the initiative to introduce yourself to those around you, from the front-desk administrator to the CEO. Don’t hesitate to add the people that you meet on LinkedIn or any other professional social networks. You never know what these connections could bring you down the line!

Need a refresher on how to make your LinkedIn business-professional ready? Check out some tips here

Find a mentor and ask questions

After you have settled into a routine, take advantage of this learning experience by finding a mentor who will support you, provide advice and serve as a personal resource throughout the program. Employers do not expect their interns to know everything about the job and professionals are eager to share their expertise and knowledge. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and inquire about specific processes—this shows that you are motivated and eager to learn about the business.

Be willing to get your hands dirty

As an intern, it is possible that you will be asked to take on some menial or underwhelming responsibilities. Approach these smaller tasks with a smile and can-do attitude, all while keeping a perspective on the bigger picture. Challenge yourself to go above and beyond what is expected of you, rather than limiting yourself to what is written in the job description.

Stay in touch

The relationships that you build early on in your professional career will serve you well into the future. As your internship comes to an end, make a point of staying in touch with the people that you’ve met. Whether your boss offers you a full-time job after graduation, your mentor provides you with a sparkling letter of recommendation, or you simply leave with some new friends and acquaintances, this experience will be a worthwhile foundation for you in the years the to come. 

Photo for blog post internships 101: advice, tips & tricks for success

For over 30 years, we have built an exceptional track record of matching students to internship experiences offering rich opportunities for growth in a wide range of fields—from financial services and marketing to healthcare, technology, and the environment. Intern placements are based on how each student’s aspirations, skills, and experience can benefit them as an intern abroad, as determined through an individual pre-placement meeting. While each internship is unique, every program combines cultural, academic, and professional development opportunities to allow students to achieve personal growth and competitive advantage in the global workforce.

Learn more.