City in a Garden or Garden in a City?

Joycelyn Y.

To say Singapore is a green city is an understatement. Singapore is one of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly cities I’ve encountered. In fact, it is ranked number 1 most sustainable city in Asia and number 4 in the world. Since my first day in Singapore, I’ve noticed the initiatives Singapore has put in to create this green city, from not providing any straws in some beverage shops, to building “green housing”, and to having one of the largest freshwater reservoirs in the world. I am constantly amazed by the small yet impactful ways Singapore is intertwined with the environment. 

Gardens by The Bay is a great example of how green the city is. Located at the heart of the metropolitan, Gardens by The Bay is a top tourist attraction. Besides the Sky Walk, it has 2 “domes” - the Flower Dome and the Cloud Dome. They are large indoor exhibitions of exotic plants and flowers from around the world, amounting to more than 1,500,000 plants! Inside the Cloud Dome, there is also an indoor waterfall that is 6 stories high. You can start touring the dome from the 6th floor and walk down. I was so mesmerized by each and every plant and their unique characteristics that it felt like I was in a whole new planet! Many tourists and even locals love to spend a whole day here learning and observing these plants because what’s better than AC and flowers on a hot and sunny day! (Bonus: you are guaranteed to get an Instagram pic that will make your overseas friends jealous)

Another tourist attraction that the city weaved nature and urban together beautifully is the newly opened Jewel. It is a shopping center that is connected to the Changi Airport in Terminal 1, and the highlight of this mall is its world’s largest indoor waterfall. The massive waterfall that is approximately 4 stories high is surrounded by many botanic plants. You feel like you’re in an indoor garden within a bustling shopping mall - simply surreal. The stores in the mall also provide a great selection, ranging from the hipster foodie spots to artsy bookstores, and to trendy clothing and sportswear shops. You can shop till you drop and admire at the gorgeous waterfall at the Jewel. 

I am excited to explore more of these green spaces in Singapore in the remainder of my trip!