24 Hours in Tokyo: A Global Intern's Guide to Japan

AIC Internships

When you are a Global Intern in Tokyo, the possibilities are endless.  From beautiful landscapes and lush green spaces by the water, historic landmarks, and fresh seafood galore, there is so much to see - and eat. We have put together an itinerary for 24 hours in Tokyo, as well as some other not-to-miss attractions around the city and surrounding areas. We are curious what your favorites will be from Tokyo! Now it's time to get out there and explore...

9:00 AM 

Up and at 'em! Time to learn all about some of Japan's artistic history at the Tokyo National Museum. This not-to-miss Museum is home to the world's largest collection of Japanese art. See some of the world's most famous Southeastern Asian Art influences and enjoy walking the hallways checking out the bright colors, Buddha sculptures, and special exhibitions. 

Pro tip: you can book a guided tour and buy your tickets ahead of time to help plan your day!  

12:00 PM

Does art history make you hungry, too? If so, take your adventures with you over to have a sushi lunch at Tsukiji Market! Enjoy walking around and trying culinary delights and bargaining with fish vendors for your next meal. You can easily hop on a train from The National Museum by using these directions (pro tip - save this Google Map to your phone when you have WiFi so you can navigate the city like a local!). Learn more about the history of the land, the wholesale fish business, and more by visiting here

Photo for blog post 24 Hours in Tokyo: A Global Intern's Guide to Japan

3:00 PM

Art, sushi, history, and lunch...only thing missing is some shopping. Head over to Harajuku and visit the bright colors and unique shops of the locals. One of Japan's most visited cities, you are sure to find some excitement in Harajuku. See some of Japan's high fashion and eclectic and energetic residents come here to walk the real-life catwalk. 

7:00 PM

Watch the sunset over your day of adventuring through Tokyo, from the Tokyo Tower. The best view of the city of Tokyo hails from this 300+ meter tall building, built in 1958. Inspired by the architecture by the Eiffel Tower, this brilliant attraction has two decks that you can visit for towering views and more. Learn more, book tickets, and see the sights here

Tokyo has so much to offer a Global Intern - luckily you will be there for more than one day. Tokyo is home to some of Japan's most unique history and traditional food and drink. Looking for more suggestions in Tokyo? We trust The Lonely Planet's Guide to Tokyo!

For over 30 years, we have built an exceptional track record of matching students to internship experiences offering rich opportunities for growth in a wide range of fields—from financial services and marketing to healthcare, technology, and the environment. Intern placements are based on how each student’s aspirations, skills, and experience can benefit them as an intern abroad, as determined through an individual pre-placement meeting. While each internship is unique, every program combines cultural, academic, and professional development opportunities to allow students to achieve personal growth and competitive advantage in the global workforce.

Learn more