An Introduction To The Big Apple

Jonathan F.

Photo for blog post An Introduction To The Big Apple

It's July 26, 2019, around 8 PM.

That's the date and time I took this picture of the Empire State Building and surrounding buildings, while sitting at a table just outside the Flatiron Building in New York City. I've chosen to start this blog with this picture, because it's from a moment that sticks in my mind. In less than 12 hours, I'd be boarding a train for upstate New York, bringing my six week New York internship to a close. From there, it'll be back to my hometown of Ottawa, Canada. A few moments after I took this picture, I would meet with my supervisor and co-intern at an Italian restaurant for a farewell dinner. I remember sitting at the Flatiron Building waiting for them to arrive, when I realized that my adventure was truly at an end. It was a beautiful night in Manhattan, and the streets were bustling in a way that I had gotten used to over the last six weeks. The entire seemed extra alive, if that was even possible. People scurried around, eager to enjoy this midsummer Saturday night.

I'm not sure I'm ready to leave just yet.

That thought would have been unthinkable when I first arrived. I was excited to come to New York, but that was also mixed with a fair bit of nervousness, a nervousness that many other prospective interns probably feel as they're about to embark on their journey. 

It is now September 4, 2019, around 8 PM. 

I've been back from New York for a little over a month, and I'm going to be sharing some of my experiences here over the next little while. I'm hoping to tell some fun stories, share my experiences, and hopefully provides some ideas and recommendations for anyone who is interested in going on their own internship. I've had plenty of great experiences in New York, and I cannot wait to share them.