Global Health to Intercultural Communication Connections

Jacob B.

Global health focuses not only on the world but on the individual and finding a cure for a certain problem.  It is both preventative and cure-oriented.  When it comes to focusing on the world global health looks to obtain input from all cultures.  This connects to intercultural communications because intercultural communications allow for a healthy discussion between all parties in a global health discussion.  It helps everyone come to the best conclusion and offer the aid best suited to each situation.  Without intercultural communication, the problems of global health could never be solved.

The thing that surprised me the most is the connection between intercultural communications (IC) and global health.  I always looked at things on a global level, but the skits and case studies showed there is much more to it.  You need strong IC skills to work one on one with individuals, not from your culture.  Without these skills, individual health problems could never be resolved.  I easily would have made the global connection, but it took a deeper lesson to recognize the individual connection. 

As a part of my trip to Germany, I’ve noticed two different things when it comes to cultural differences surrounding public health. One, Germans are not as germophobic as Americans.  I first noticed this when I was shown the public outdoor urinals that are common in the city.  I further understood this when I noticed lots of workers at public food stands do not wear gloves.  The old me would have been presumptuous about Germans, but the new me recognizes the cultural differences and does not judge.  Two, Germans are not as big as Americans generally speaking.  Portions are not as large in Germany as I discussed in my previous blog, so IC is essential to creating better health plans for cultures with different eating styles.

Generally speaking, the lessons I’ve learned so far have