4 tips to adjust abroad

AIC Internships

Livng and working abroad is one of the greatest and most rewarding experiences you can give yourself. When you arrive in your new city for your global internship, keep these four things in mind to help ease the transition and build your excitement! 

Do your homework

One of the most important things that you can do before beginning your internship is to learn about the company and the industry that you’ll be working in. What kind of wardrobe will you be expected to wear? What is the history of the company? Who are their competitors? Armed with this knowledge, you’ll head into your first day comfortable and confident to hit the ground running.

Get to know your transportation options

Whether you have access to a subway system, bus transit lines, bikesharing programs or even ridesharing services, figuring out how to use public transportation will allow you to explore your new city with confidence. Download a mobile map (one of our favorites is the CityMapper app!) beforehand but also give yourself the time to explore on foot. Don’t be afraid to get lost, either—you never know what you might stumble upon. 

Put yourself out there

One of the best parts of spending time abroad is connecting with people of different backgrounds. You’ll quickly find a community within your Global Internship program, but don’t be afraid to venture beyond your professional circle to make friends. Join a gym, hit up happy hours and get involved in extracurriculars. Need some ideas in your new city? Check out the TimeOut page for your new city! 

Learn the language

Spending time abroad and surrounded by native speakers is the perfect opportunity to pick up a new language. In fact, it has been proven time and again that cultural immersion is the most effective way to learn. Make a point of mastering some conversation pleasantries and interacting with the locals. Even if you are heading to a country that speaks your same language you can learn new everyday expression and local slang.

Prague Global Interns

For over 30 years, we have built an exceptional track record of matching students to internship experiences offering rich opportunities for growth in a wide range of fields—from financial services and marketing to healthcare, technology, and the environment. Intern placements are based on how each student’s aspirations, skills, and experience can benefit them as an intern abroad, as determined through an individual pre-placement meeting. While each internship is unique, every program combines cultural, academic, and professional development opportunities to allow students to achieve personal growth and competitive advantage in the global workforce.

Learn more.