24 hours in Sydney: A Global Intern's Guide to Australia

AIC Internships

When you are a Global Intern in Sydney, the possibilities are endless. With the sun shining, people smiling, mind-bending architecture, and asian-themed cuisine, there is so much to see - and eat in this Australian city. We have put together an itinerary for 24 hours in Sydney, as well as some other not-to-miss attractions around the city and surrounding areas. We are curious what your favorites will be from Sydney! Now it's time to get out there and explore...

9:00 AM 

Start your day like a local by heading over to check out one of Sydney's most photographed and recognized sites, the Sydney Opera House. The Opera House was initially built with the intention to bulid community and engagement. Something it has been doing since the opening in 1973.

Pro tip: There are so many things to do and see at the Sydney Opera House you could easily spend your entire day here. Check out their website here, and take some notes ahead of time on the things you would like to see, experience and eat for an efficient trip - and a place you can come back to for weeks to come on your internship. 

Photo for blog post 24 hours in Sydney: A Global Intern's Guide to Australia

11:00 AM

Feeling bold and inspired? Good! It's time to take this day to new heights. Literally. Try your chance at climbing the towering Sydney Harbour Bridge. You can walk over there from the Sydney Opera house - find directions here. Don't forget to save them to your phone so you can use them when you don't have Wifi and are exploring the city - like a local. We recommend booking a climb ahead of time so you can join the 4 million annual bridge climbers. Check out timing, photos and more here

1:00 PM

Ready for some traditional Australian food to refuel? Or maybe you just want to pick up a new bathing suit for the beach later... Either way, the Australian's pride themselves on fresh fish, local markets and engaging in community. Sydney is home to some of the freshest seafood in the world. Head over to some of the best Sydney Markets - there are a variety of them depending on what you are looking for. Check out a list here!  

4:00 PM

It's beach time! Grab your towel and SPF 50 and hit one of Sydney's most popular destinations to soak up the sun, Bondi Beach. Reliable waves bring surfers from around the world to get a chance at riding the gold coast's most iconic beach waves. Not much of a beach-sitter? There is tons to do near the area. Check out some of the attractions, entertainment, food and more here. This is also a wonderful place to catch the sunset after a long day on the job at your internship. No matter how you choose, it's enjoyed by many for many reasons. 

Sydney has so much to offer a Global Intern - luckily you will be there for more than one day. Some of Australia's most significant history is in Sydney from buildings that are still around from the Colonial era to the bustling markets and street vendors where you can try your bartering skills - and always leave with fresh bao in your belly. Looking for more suggestions in Sydney? We trust The Lonely Planet's Guide to Sydney!

CIEE offers a range of full-time and part-time internship abroad opportunities for students. With internships spanning a diversity of fields — from public policy to the arts, business administration to marketing — CIEE has you covered. You’ll develop the skills you need to succeed in the next steps of your career.

For more than 30 years, we've been placing students into high-impact internships across a wide range of industries and fields. We know that global work experience paired with a strong academic framework will turn today's students into the next generation of forwardthinking innovators, teachers, and leaders.