We remain cautiously optimistic that by fall 2020 certain locations will meet our revised health and safety protocols and we will be able to deliver programs that meet our high standards for program safety, academic rigor, and meaningful intercultural experiences.
Each fall 2020 program will undergo a thorough health and safety review and have in place a contingency plan for the delivery of all coursework in the case of disruption. In addition, both traditional semester programs as well as CIEE Open Campus Block programs will begin onsite programming in late September to provide additional time for the world to heal and travel to begin.
As of April 23, we plan to run 32 programs in fall 2020 at 17 international locations. Full details, including dates, fees, and any planned modifications, are on our fall 2020 website.
Based on the global impact of COVID-19, for fall 2020 we are making appropriate modifications to our traditional approach, implementing three immediate adjustments to our delivery of programs:
- Updated health and safety protocols to account for changing global travel restrictions, the need to accommodate social distancing in certain situations, and the need to assess each country’s readiness to host our students.
- Contingency planning for the delivery of academic programs in the case of program disruption, including robust coursework and training faculty in the facilitation of rich remote learning that integrates local culture and customs into blended courses.
- Revised academic calendar and schedule of program dates to provide flexibility and increased ability to deliver high-quality academic and intercultural learning experiences.
Expanded Risk Assessment
CIEE’s Health, Safety, and Security (HSS) team is actively monitoring all governmental advisories at home and abroad, as well as consulting with safety professionals at member schools and peer organizations. The Academic Affairs team is refining protocols to ensure academic continuity and an enriching academic experience. Taken together, CIEE has expanded its risk assessment to include macro and micro considerations due to COVID-19, including:
- Travel, passport and visa constraints
- Health and safety assessment of housing, classrooms, and excursions
- Evaluation of academic contingency planning and program flexibility
- Evaluation of host institution adaptation and planning
We will continue to monitor developments related to COVID-19 and will only run programs when and where CIEE can safely and legally deliver a high-quality program experience for participants. We will regularly keep students and our Institutional Partners updated on the status of planned programs for fall 2020.
CIEE's Program Assurance Advantage
All applicants to CIEE’s fall and spring study abroad and global internship programs are protected by our Program Assurance Advantage, so they can feel confident confirming participation without incurring financial risk. This free benefit protects students' financial investment in the event CIEE must cancel an international program. If CIEE cancels a program up to one day before the program start, students will receive a full refund of funds paid to CIEE. If students choose to withdraw, or their institution requires them to withdraw, up to 14 days before the start of a program, CIEE program fees paid will be refunded.