CIEE Expands Study Abroad Portfolio - Italy

Communications

CIEE is pleased to announce the expansion of our portfolio in Italy to include 17+ study abroad and internship programs in three exciting cities. Starting in spring ‘24 the CIEE portfolio in Italy will feature

1. New programs in Rome – We’re launching several new opportunities in the Eternal City, including a new semester-long business program!
  2. New CIEE Study Abroad Centers in Florence and Milan – The unique cultural, academic, and internship options in each of these vibrant cities will allow CIEE to support the study abroad dreams of students passionate about business, fashion, fine arts, and more! 

See the entire CIEE Italy Study Abroad Portfolio on our Spring 2024 Portfolio Expansion website.

With a robust selection of semester, open campus, summer, J-term, and internship programs offered across our locations in Florence, Milan, and Rome, CIEE provides scores of options to meet the needs of every student regardless of budget, academic schedule, or major. Students can choose from a rich variety of programs focused on business, art, architecture, fashion, language, and more. In addition, CIEE’s expansion into the financial and commercial hub of Milan allows us to connect students with a plentiful variety of internships across industries, including opportunities with fashion houses, global corporations, and startups.

Moreover, CIEE offers the most generous and flexible suite of scholarships and grants, including travel grants for Pell-eligible students, CIEE Gilman Scholarship matching grants, academic merit grants, Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship and Scholars awards, and CIEE alumni discounts.

CIEE’s expansion in Italy is part of our overarching plan for thoughtful additions and updates across the entire CIEE worldwide study abroad portfolio to better meet student demand and open the door to study abroad for a greater diversity of students. We’ve started by updating our portfolio in several popular Western European locations. We announced updates to our Spain portfolio last week and will in the coming weeks have announcements regarding CIEE’s expansion of study abroad programs in the United Kingdom and France

Expansion of CIEE’s Italy Program Portfolio

The expanded CIEE portfolio in Italy now offers an even larger variety of best-in-class study abroad programs to meet the needs of students with diverse academic needs, budgets, and interests. The portfolio includes existing, updated, or new programs taught at multiple host institutions or by CIEE faculty:

• Discipline-based Programs – include courses taught at multiple host institutions or by CIEE faculty. Depending on the course, instruction is in English or Italian.
    • New Business Programs: CIEE Business & Culture programs will be offered in Rome and Milan. Plus, in Milan, CIEE is launching a new program called Fashion, Retail & Innovation.
    • New STEM Program in Rome: Architecture, Design & Urban Planning
  • Multidisciplinary Programs 
    • CIEE “Semester in” Programs – are designed to increase access to study abroad by offering broad eligibility with minimal prerequisites or language requirements. Students can access hundreds of courses from host institution partners and CIEE faculty. We will be offering CIEE Semester in Florence, CIEE Semester in Milan, and CIEE Semester in Rome.
    • CIEE Open Campus Block Programs – allow students to take up to three 6-week academic blocks in a single location, or students can combine 6-week blocks in one location with 6-week blocks in 15+ other CIEE Open Campus locations. In addition to the existing Open Campus program in Rome, starting in fall ’24, we are launching Open Campus in Milan. These programs are ideal for comparative global learning and for students from quarter schools.
    • CIEE Global Internships  – provide a network of Italian employers across a multitude of industries who can deliver valuable work-based learning opportunities. Starting in summer ’24 we will offer Summer Global Internships not only in Rome, but also Milan.

NEW – CIEE Florence

Considered the birthplace of the Renaissance, Florence is a student-friendly city rich in art and history. Located in central Italy, in the heart of Tuscany, Florence’s renowned art galleries and museums are home to timeless artwork from the likes of Michelangelo, Botticelli, and Leonardo da Vinci. Florence is a perfect place for students to pursue their interests in art, history, and architecture while practicing Italian language and experiencing another culture.  

NEW – CIEE Milan

Located in the Lombardy region of northern Italy, Milan is the second-largest city in Italy and home to many of Italy’s major fashion brands, 27 of the world’s 100 largest companies, and the oldest shopping center in the world (the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II). As a commercial and financial hub, cosmopolitan Milan is a particularly attractive Italian destination for students who want to study business, economics, finance, marketing, or fashion.  

More exciting updates to CIEE’s Western European portfolio will be communicated weekly over the next month! Then, a webinar outlining all the elements of CIEE’s Spring 2024 Portfolio Expansion will be held on March 29 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

For more than 75 years, CIEE has had the most extensive, comprehensive, flexible, and affordable set of study abroad programs for every student, every major, and every college and university