Announcing the Second Cohort of Frederick Douglass Global Fellows

CIEE, in partnership with the Penn Center for Minority Serving Institutions (CMSI) and the Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives, is proud to announce the second cohort of students for the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship (FDGF) program:

FDGF is part of a three-year strategic partnership between CIEE and CMSI, designed to break down the barriers of cost, curriculum, and culture to make study abroad accessible to students from Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs).

The Frederick Douglass Global Fellows (FDGFs) were nominated by their college presidents and selected from a large pool of applicants in a national competition. These Fellows are meritorious individuals who demonstrate high academic achievement, possess exemplary communication skills, display the hallmarks of self-determination, exhibit characteristics of bold leadership, and have a history of service to others.

“We are thrilled to join CIEE in giving the opportunity to MSI students who want to study abroad. The experience is life-changing for everyone involved,” said Marybeth Gasman, professor and director of CMSI.

FDGFs will use their experiences to motivate other underrepresented students to pursue similar opportunities. The program draws on the legacy of Frederick Douglass — the African-American social reformer, abolitionist, orator, writer, and international statesman who lived, lectured and studied in London in 1845 — and encourages students to use his life as a model to becoming bold, globally conscious, and service-oriented leaders.

Nettie Washington Douglass, chairwoman and co-founder of Frederick Douglass Family Initiatives, shares, “We are excited to participate in the development of leaders that are taught the value of intercultural awareness and molded to be change agents in their communities like our great ancestor, Frederick Douglass.”

This year's cohort of 10 students will participate in a four-week summer study abroad program designed to enhance their leadership and intercultural skills in Cape Town, South Africa. FDGF covers all program fees and travel costs for 10 students each year who are selected from a diverse group of MSIs. The Fellowship is awarded based on a combination of personal leadership attributes, academic achievement, and financial need. The next cohort of FDGFs will study in Seoul, South Korea (summer 2019).

James P. Pellow, president and CEO of CIEE, explained, “The Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship Program allows for both CIEE and CMSI to intentionally curate intercultural programming for MSI students. We are proud to assist in the development of a global perspective for the next generation of leaders.”

Learn more about the Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship.