AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland Embark on Global Internship Program

Today, the inaugural cohort of AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland started their internships with employers in Dublin, Ireland.

The AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program was created by the African American Irish Diaspora Network (AAIDN) and the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) to build bridges between African American and Irish communities and prepare African American college students for the global job market.

The three students selected for this transformative international learning and career development opportunity are participating in CIEE’s Summer Global Internship program and will receive an eight-week work placement, housing, a three-credit academic course, flights and living expenses, all funded by AAIDN and CIEE.   

Each AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholar was matched with an employer that aligned with their career goals and skillset.

• Mia Douglas, a junior from Benedict College majoring in Mass Communications and Media Studies, will intern with The Journal, the market leader in online news for Ireland.
  • Truth Mjumbe, a junior from Morehouse College majoring in Psychology and Computer Science, will intern with E-ducare, a non-profit that offers children in poverty access to education.
  • Jayla Vyent, a sophomore from Sacred Heart College majoring in Psychology, will intern with Swan Youth Center, whose mission is to empower young people to be critical thinkers and active participants in their communities.

Truth outlined his goals for the summer ahead: “Through my internship in Ireland, I aim to gain invaluable international work experience, forge meaningful connections with professionals in the field, and cultivate a deeper appreciation for cultural diversity and global perspectives.”  

Mia shared, " In Ireland I hope to engage, experience, and matriculate my journey in journalism and abroad. Through this experience I hope to become interconnected with various cultures while connecting closer to what African diaspora looks like in Ireland. I am excited to shift my perspective and engage in a truly once in a lifetime opportunity."

Jayla remarked, "I am filled with gratitude for this incredible opportunity to forge significant bonds and acquire invaluable global professional acumen, and confident that this will shape my personal and professional growth.”

The AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars will be encouraged to share reflections of their time in Ireland through written blogs and posts on social media. Follow their adventures on CIEE’s Instagram and LinkedIn pages.

The AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program advances AAIDN’s mission to foster relationships between African Americans and Ireland based on a shared heritage and culture and helps CIEE deliver on its pledge to do more for access and diversity initiatives in international education and exchange programs.  

To learn more about the AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program, or to contribute funds for the 2024 cohort, please contact Stacy Benjamin, CIEE’s Director of Professional Development, at sbenjamin@ciee.org or 207-245-0804.

About CIEE: For 75 years, CIEE has helped young people participate in high-quality international exchange and study abroad programs that build bridges between people, countries, and cultures. Since 1947, CIEE has supported over 1,000,000 student exchanges from over 140 countries. Learn more at ciee.org.

About AAIDN: The African American Irish Diaspora Network was launched in 2020 to foster relationships between African Americans and Ireland and the Irish Diaspora through shared heritage and culture. With nearly 40% of African Americans having some Irish ancestry, AAIDN is bringing the African American and Irish communities together via that ancestry and other affinities including entrepreneurship and innovation, education, arts, and culture. AAIDN’s mission is actively supported by Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs as well as the government of Northern Ireland. Learn more at aaidnet.org.