AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars Reflect on Global Internship Program in Ireland

The inaugural cohort of AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland have completed their internships with employers in Dublin, Ireland.

The AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program was created by the African American Irish Diaspora Network (AAIDN) and the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) to build bridges between African American and Irish communities and prepare African American college students for the global job market.

The three students selected for this transformative international learning and career development opportunity participated in CIEE’s Summer Global Internship program and received an eight-week work placement, housing, a three-credit academic course, flights and living expenses, all funded by AAIDN and CIEE.   

Each AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholar was matched with an employer that aligned with their career goals and skillset:

• Mia Douglas, a junior from Benedict College majoring in Mass Communications and Media Studies, completed her internship with The Journal, the market leader in online news for Ireland.
  • Truth Mjumbe, a junior from Morehouse College majoring in Psychology and Computer Science, completed his internship with E-ducare, a non-profit that offers children in poverty access to education.
  • Jayla Vyent, a sophomore from Sacred Heart College majoring in Psychology, completed her internship with Swan Youth Center, whose mission is to empower young people to be critical thinkers and active participants in their communities.

Below are reflections from the Scholars upon returning to the United States after their global work experience:

"At my internship at The Journal, I worked on issues concerning refugees, direct provision centers, and politics. I also was able to start my own projects which regarded the mixed Irish and Mother and Baby Homes. Each person at my internship was kind and welcoming. My experience was overwhelmingly positive that I felt excited to come in and sadness to leave on my last day. Through my internship I got to experience what it was like to live my dream as a foreign correspondent."

Studying abroad was absolutely life changing. Especially with CIEE because I felt cared for. At every step of the way faculty of CIEE expressed diligence, organization, and overall concern for our well being. I am so satisfied with this program and my parents were as well.

Mia Douglass

I created the Human Resources department for E-ducare. It was hard work, but I got to work closely with the CEO, Pier, to create a wonderful department, and I hope my impact there significantly helps the charity.

Truth Mjumbe

"I think this opportunity introduced me to people who will be in my life forever and I have learned valuable knowledge that I will keep with me forever."

Jayla Vyent

The AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program advances AAIDN’s mission to foster relationships between African Americans and Ireland based on a shared heritage and culture and helps CIEE deliver on its pledge to do more for access and diversity initiatives in international education and exchange programs.  

To learn more about the AAIDN/CIEE Intern Scholars in Ireland program, or to contribute funds for the 2024 cohort, please contact Stacy Benjamin, CIEE’s Director of Professional Development, at sbenjamin@ciee.org or 207-245-0804.

About CIEE: For 75 years, CIEE has helped young people participate in high-quality international exchange and study abroad programs that build bridges between people, countries, and cultures. Since 1947, CIEE has supported over 1,000,000 student exchanges from over 140 countries. Learn more at ciee.org.

About AAIDN: The African American Irish Diaspora Network was launched in 2020 to foster relationships between African Americans and Ireland and the Irish Diaspora through shared heritage and culture. With nearly 40% of African Americans having some Irish ancestry, AAIDN is bringing the African American and Irish communities together via that ancestry and other affinities including entrepreneurship and innovation, education, arts, and culture. AAIDN’s mission is actively supported by Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs as well as the government of Northern Ireland. Learn more at aaidnet.org.