How It Works: Hosting in Families With Kids

Host Families

As a family with kids of your own, are you concerned that you won’t have enough time to host an international student? If so, we’re here to help you rest easy. Hosting an international student with CIEE is both manageable and rewarding.

The great thing about hosting an international student is that they become a member of your family; therefore, they don’t require the attention one might give to a guest. In other words, a host student doesn’t need special attention. We encourage you to treat them the same as your other children.

Photo for blog post How It Works: Hosting in Families With Kids

A few things to remember:

• Your host student will attend high school during the week. As with any high school student, your international student will get up early, go to school, and spend the majority of each weekday getting an American education.
  • Many host students actively participate in afterschool activities. Whether it’s a sport, a club, or some other extracurricular gathering, international students are keen to get involved. These are opportunities for them to have cultural experiences, make friends, and have fun.
  • In time, host students will make their own friends. As with any other teenager, your host student will make friends during their time in America.
  • Your children and your host student will bond. They will play games, hang out, explore, talk, and have fun in the way all siblings do.
  • In other words, you don’t need to “entertain” your host student. They will entertain themselves!

The point here? If you’re concerned about whether you have enough time to host an international student, you can stop worrying. It takes less time than you think. Host families are not babysitters. Think of your host student as a mature, independent, and dedicated student who wants to experience your life and get a quality American education. This is not a burden; this is the adventure of a lifetime – for your host students, for you, and for your kids.

Are you ready to host? Start your host family application today!