Frequently Asked Questions


Please have your employee contact the CIEE international representative in your country, so they can get started on the application process.

Yes, you can pay the J-1 intern/trainee’s stipend while they are in the United States.

As a host organization, the U.S. company should be able to provide your trainee with a structured and guided training and continuous supervision and feedback. They should train for a minimum of 32 hours per week and be provided any resources they need to complete their tasks, including their own workspace with a computer, phone, and any other needed equipment. Host organizations should also actively engage their trainee in American cultural activities, preferably outside of work responsibilities.

The trainee is expected to return to their home country at the end of training.

These trainings can serve as a way to facilitate training and develop local talent. In an increasingly diverse economy, sending participants to train abroad can enhance your company with multilingual skills, cultural exchange, and an international perspective. It allows your employees to become familiar with company-specific and American business practices through training in the U.S.

J-1 trainees are eligible to train for up to 18 months.

J-1 trainees may be eligible to extend their program up until 18 months. Hospitality trainings are limited to a maximum duration of 12 months by the U.S. Department of State (although Hospitality Management Trainings can be longer up to 18 months.  Please see the Hospitality section of Industry Specific Guidelines for further information).