Updates from the Academic Consortium Board Meeting

CIEE's Academic Consortium Board (ACB), which provides oversight for academic quality and new program development, met at the end of March and approved the following new programs: 

• Dublin Open Campus Block (SP22) 
  • Dublin Global Internship (SP22) 
  • Kyoto Open Campus Block (SP22) 
  • Kyoto Global Internship (SP22) 
  • Virtual Global Internship (SU21) 

CIEE also shared with the ACB these updates to existing programs: 

Updated attendance policy – The current attendance policy, outlined in CIEE’s College Study Abroad Program Terms and Conditions, is that absence for more than 20% of a course results in automatic failure. The new policy (from fall 2021 onward) states that absence of more than 20% will result in a 10% reduction to final grade. This less rigid attendance policy is more consistent with a balance of assessments and variety of learning opportunities, while excessive absences will still trigger academic and wellness checks. 

Legon, Ghana – Because the University of Ghana has announced that it is moving to online course delivery for the foreseeable future, CIEE will add supplemental in-person CIEE-administered courses for students to choose from starting in fall 2021. These include: Twi Language; Intercultural Communication and Leadership; Independent Research; Public Health in Ghana; and History of the Transatlantic Slave Trade.