COVID-19 Program Updates: Exchange Participants

Communications

Communications

At CIEE, the health, safety and welfare of our program participants is our highest priority, and our actions during the most challenging of times reflect that commitment. CIEE has a long history of anticipating and responding to world events as they unfold, whether they be natural disasters, social unrest, or – as now – disease outbreaks.

In consideration of the increasing spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus) around the world, CIEE continues to assess our current and upcoming J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program options. CIEE refers to the U.S. State Department Travel Advisory and Centers for Disease Control warning level alerts, as well as World Health Organization advice, when evaluating our program in terms of the safety of our participants and host communities. We are tracking this issue closely and will keep affected parties swiftly informed of any changes.

We believe that international exchange prepares the next generation of leaders to work across cultures and tackle global crises — such as COVID-19 — that require global cooperation on solutions. CIEE plans to continue bringing the world together to increase intercultural understanding and humanize international relations for years to come.

HIGH SCHOOL USA

Participants currently in the U.S.

Programs already underway may continue as planned. Some schools may be invoking remote learning or may be closed for the remainder of the year. Participants should contact CIEE Support Team at 1-800-448-9944 to alert us of any difficulties completing their program as planned or if they wish to return home earlier than planned.

Natural parents should not plan to visit their child in the U.S. while their child is still on program. Participants requesting to travel within the U.S. will likely be denied due to travel restrictions.

Prospective Participants

After careful consideration, CIEE will not be permitting any new applications for August 2020, effective immediately as of March 23, 2020. Any applications in our system as of March 23, 2020 will be allowed to move forward. Additionally, we will continue to work on placing your students who already are in the system. Given the uncertainty about what lies ahead, we believe it is best to focus our attention and resources supporting those applicants who have already committed to CIEE’s High School USA program.

PROFESSIONAL EXCHANGE PROGRAMS
(INTERN, TRAINEE, RESEARCH SCHOLAR, SHORT TERM SCHOLAR, SPECIALIST, PROFESSOR)

Participants currently in the U.S.

Programs already underway may continue as planned. CIEE recommends exchange visitors stay informed on their home country government’s requirements, as well as local health and safety guidance, and make choices that are best for their specific circumstances. Participants should contact CIEE Customer Service at 1-888-268-6245 to alert us of any difficulties completing their program as planned or returning home.

Prospective Participants

CIEE will continue to process applications with U.S. arrival dates of June 10, 2020 or later for all occupational categories except for Hospitality, Tourism, and Culinary which are suspended until further notice given the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on these industries. Additionally, CIEE is unable to process any application requiring a site visit at this time. Please contact your International Representative if you are unsure whether a host organization requires a site visit.

WORK & TRAVEL USA

Participants currently in the U.S.

As of March 17, CIEE is recommending that all CIEE Work & Travel USA participants currently in the U.S. return home as soon as possible. We understand that many countries have closed their borders to both nationals and foreigners. While participants may not be able to return home immediately, they should begin to make plans to return home as soon as they are able. Participants should contact their international representative for assistance booking flights.

Participants should contact CIEE Customer Service at 1-888-268-6245 so that we can understand their situation in the U.S. Additionally, in-country participants should continue to check their email frequently for updates and advice from CIEE.

Prospective Participants

CIEE will not be permitting any new applications for Summer 2020, effective immediately as of March 23, 2020. Any applications in our system as of March 23, 2020 will be allowed to move forward. Additionally, we will continue to make placements until May 1, 2020. All prospective applicants must plan to arrive in the U.S. on June 10, 2020 or later. Given the uncertainty about what lies ahead for this summer, we believe it is best to focus our attention and resources supporting those applicants who have already committed to CIEE’s Work & Travel USA program.

CAMP EXCHANGE USA

Prospective Participants

CIEE will not be permitting any new applications for Summer 2020, effective immediately as of March 23, 2020. Any applications in our system as of March 23, 2020 will be allowed to move forward. Additionally, we will continue to make placements until May 1, 2020. All prospective applicants must plan to arrive in the U.S. on June 10, 2020 or later. Given the uncertainty about what lies ahead for this summer, we believe it is best to focus our attention and resources supporting those applicants who have already committed to CIEE’s Camp Exchange USA program.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Please call 1-888-268-6245 any time to speak with a CIEE representative if you have any questions.