CIEE Global Internship Conference - Day 2

Communications

Today was another great day at the 11th Annual CIEE Global Internship Conference (GIC), full of robust and constructive discussions of how internships can be more accessible and inclusive, how work-integrated learning can advance student success, and how global experiential learning can be a powerful engine for public diplomacy and economic development.

The morning featured a Leadership Roundtable with thought leaders from across the globe representing higher education, industry, recognized associations, and other non-profits who are all working to improve the transition from higher education to global careers for young people everywhere.

Speakers included:

Dr. Lynn Pasquerella of AAC&U talked about how the mindsets and dispositions that students have when they graduate and enter the workforce are just as important as the skills and competencies they have acquired. So it is important to think about ways we can prepare students to be adaptable and flexible so they can thrive in our rapidly changing world. "Resiliency and learning from failure are just as important [as skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, ethical decision making, working on diverse teams, etc.] and need to be built into the curriculum in ways that they haven't in the past."

Matthew McKean of the Business Higher Education Roundtable pointed to a survey his organization conducted that found employers overall believed new entry level hires lacked the skills needed for their roles. Experiential education is a way to tackle that skills gap, he said. Adding that students are also demanding that their universities better prepare them for employment. "I think what's changing is the idea of education for education's sake," McKean said. Students primarily see a university education as conduit to getting a job.

Later in the morning, the Ideation Roundtables generated fantastic discussions! In these interactive sessions, facilitators guided the exchange of ideas related to key topics in global experiential learning.

Vicki Cunningham, CEO, BUNAC Work and Travel; Leah Mason, Research Lead, Institute of International Education (IIE); and Farzana Karin-Haji, Associate Vice Provost, Global Engagement, The Aga Khan University tackled the issue of changing student needs and engaged the participants in generating ideas for how we can develop the best global internship models to meet student goals.

Marco Dondi, Head of Future Skills Research, McKinsey & Company led a discussion of how we can help young people demonstrate they possess the most valued skills that employers want. Participants shared ideas on how we can assess/measure skills gained from a work-integrated learning experience like internships, particularly global internships.

In a deeply authentic and powerful session, Jewell Winn, Senior International Officer, Tennessee State University, Past President, AIEA; and Joann Ng Hartmann, Senior Impact Officer, NAFSA led a discussion of how we can overcome challenges to access and inclusion in global experiential learning. She asked the provocative question: Is diversity enough? 

In addition to roundtables and concurrent sessions, the CIEE Global Internship Conference today offered several opportunities for informal exchange of ideas and networking among conference attendees.

At today’s Lunch and Learn, Mark Howard, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary (DAS) for Private Sector Exchange, U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, led an update on the BridgeUSA Internship programs offered through CIEE. Conference participants from non-U.S. universities were particularly interested in this opportunity to learn about internships in the U.S. for their students or recent graduates.

During The Unconference – a new element of this year’s Global Internship Conference, participants had an opportunity to join peer-led technology-free discussions on top-of-mind topics, including:

• Integrating and Facilitating Internships in Higher Education
  • Overcoming Barriers to Developing International Research Internships Abroad
  • Remote Internships - Do they actually support student career readiness?
  • Navigating the Complexities of Healthcare Internships: Strategies for Success in Clinical and Non-Clinical Settings
  • Employability Growth from internships in Developing Countries
  • Ways to SUcceSSful Internships
  • Inclusive International Internships: Access and Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

The informal and fun University/Employer Networking Event convened university delegates and representatives from eight employers interested in internship programs and hosting students. Valuable new connections were forged as participants engaged in the GIC Scavenger Hunt. The two lucky winners of the hunt, Dudley Reynolds​, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar​, and Brandy Maki​, Minnesota State University, Mankato​, will each receive full registration to GIC 2024. 

Our day closed with a Networking reception at BRLO Brwhouse. Conference delegates made connections with colleagues old and new as they enjoyed appetizers, craft beers, and ciders at this iconic urban beer garden.