CIEE Expands Study Abroad Portfolio - Spain

CIEE is pleased to announce the expansion of our portfolio in Spain to include 25+ study abroad and internship programs in six cities. Starting in spring ‘24 the CIEE portfolio in Spain will feature:

• Enhancements to existing CIEE programs in Spain – We’re updating some programs to include a greater selection of courses, new host institution partnerships, and/or expanded eligibility!
  • Additional programs at CIEE’s existing Spanish locations  – We’re launching new opportunities in Alcala de Henares, Barcelona, Madrid, and Seville!
  • New CIEE study abroad locations in Spain – We’re increasing our footprint in Spain by reopening centers in Alicante and Palma de Mallorca!

See the entire CIEE Spain Study Abroad Portfolio on our Spring 2024 Portfolio Expansion website.

(Please note detailed updates to existing CIEE Spain programs will be published to the web this spring.)

With a robust selection of semester, open campus, summer, J-term, and internship programs offered across our locations in Alcalá de Henares, Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid, Palma de Mallorca, and Seville, CIEE provides scores of program options in Spain to meet the needs of every student regardless of budget, academic schedule, or major.

Students can choose from a variety of intensive language programs, business programs, liberal arts programs, STEM programs, and a host of experiential learning opportunities including international internships and service projects.

Moreover, CIEE offers the most generous and flexible suite of scholarships and grants, including travel grants for Pell-eligible students, CIEE Gilman Scholarship matching grants, academic merit grants, Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship and Scholars awards, and CIEE alumni discounts.

CIEE’s expansion in Spain is part of our overarching plan for thoughtful additions and updates across the entire CIEE worldwide study abroad portfolio to better meet student demand and open the door to study abroad for a greater diversity of students. We’ve started by updating our portfolio in several popular Western European locations so stay tuned in the coming weeks, for announcements regarding CIEE’s expansion of study abroad programs in Italy, the United Kingdom, and France.

Six CIEE Study Abroad Centers in Spain!

In addition to CIEE’s existing Centers in Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, and Alcalá de Henares, we are excited to welcome students year-round to Alicante and Palma de Mallorca, making CIEE a leader in Spain study abroad with six different locations​!

Expansion of CIEE’s Spain Program Portfolio

The expanded CIEE portfolio in Spain now offers an even larger variety of best-in-class study abroad programs to meet the needs of students with diverse academic needs, budgets, and interests. The portfolio includes existing, updated, or new programs taught at multiple host institutions or by CIEE faculty:

• Language Immersion Programs – Semester-long liberal arts and advanced liberal arts programs in Alicante, Barcelona, Madrid, Palma de Mallorca, and Seville. These programs feature instruction in Spanish and are comprised of courses taught at multiple host institutions or by CIEE faculty.
  • Discipline-based Programs – New and updated STEM and business programs, such as Psychology & Health Sciences in Seville, Business & Culture in Madrid, and Economics & Culture in Barcelona. These discipline-based programs include courses taught at multiple host institutions and by CIEE faculty. Depending on the program/course, instruction is in English or Spanish.
  • Multidisciplinary-based Programs 
    • CIEE “Semester in” Programs – are designed to increase access to study abroad by offering broad eligibility with minimal prerequisites and no language requirements. Students can access hundreds of courses from multiple host institution partners and CIEE faculty. We will be offering CIEE Semester in Alicante, CIEE Semester in Barcelona, CIEE Semester in Madrid, CIEE Semester in Palma de Mallorca, and CIEE Semester in Seville.
    • CIEE Arts & Sciences Programs – enable students to direct enroll at partner institutions to take general studies courses.
    • CIEE Open Campus Block Programs – allow students to take up to three 6-week academic blocks in Madrid, or combine six weeks in Madrid with 6-week blocks in 15+ other CIEE Open Campus locations. These programs are ideal for comparative global learning and for students from quarter schools.
    • CIEE Global Internships  – provide a network of Spanish employers across a multitude of industries who can provide valuable work-based learning opportunities. Currently, we offer Summer Global Internships in Barcelona and Seville, and will be expanding that program to Madrid.

REOPENING – CIEE Alicante

A cosmopolitan and multicultural city on Spain’s southeastern coast, Alicante is rich in Spanish flavor, boasting a Gothic castle, a colorful old quarter, and a palm-lined promenade paved with 6.6 million tricolored tiles. It’s the perfect location for immersion in Spanish language and culture.

NEW – CIEE Palma de Mallorca

Dubbed “The Pearl of the Mediterranean,” Palma de Mallorca is the capital of Mallorca, Spain – a dreamy Mediterranean island located roughly 125 miles off the southeast coast of mainland Spain. Palma is known for its cosmopolitan lifestyle, charming city squares, vibrant neighborhoods, and pristine beaches. Palma de Mallorca aims to be a global leader in sustainable tourism, making Palma an ideal location for students interested in business, hospitality, and sustainable development.

More exciting updates to CIEE’s Western European portfolio will be communicated weekly over the next month! Then, a webinar outlining all the elements of CIEE’s Spring 2024 Portfolio Expansion will be held on March 29 at 12:00 p.m. EST.

For more than 75 years, CIEE has had the most extensive, comprehensive, flexible, and affordable set of study abroad programs for every student, every major, and every college and university.