What it's Like to be a CIEE Local Coordinator
If you agree with the following statements, you’ve come to the right place:
- I firmly believe in the value of cultural exchange.
- I have a passion for making a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
- I like to create opportunities for young people.
- I want to invest in my community.
- I enjoy building new and fulfilling relationships.
- I love to travel and explore new places.
It doesn’t take experience to be a Local Coordinator. What you need is a desire to enrich the lives of those near you, and those far away waiting to discover America.
A young person can be a coordinator. Grandparents can be coordinators. Anybody can do this. Even shy, quiet people can do it, because it’s surprising how you’re not so quiet and shy when you’re passionate about something.
– Vickie N., Local Coordinator, Indiana
After seeing how international exchange changes lives, many host family members become enthusiastic LCs themselves. Some are retired teachers who want to enhance the education that their community’s schools provide. Others are residents who enjoy working with people and are looking for ways to contribute to their communities. These are just some of the reasons people choose to devote their time and effort to CIEE High School Exchange USA.
You can do it too. If you’ve got an urge to do something really meaningful and the dedication and drive to have a positive, lasting impact, you’ll make a great LC.