Alumni Update - December 2016

NEWS THIS MONTH

A Message from CIEE on the U.S. Presidential Election

Following the U.S. presidential election, there have been many questions about the future of J-1 visa programs. Two statements were released by CIEE that address those questions and frame expectations for the future:

"Reflections on the U.S. Presidential Election"Read here.
"CIEE Statement on Status of J-1 Visa Programs"Read here.

Destination TEFL Debuts in Vietnam

The CIEE TEFL team facilitated the inaugural cohort of their newest travel practicum program, Destination TEFL, this November in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Five trainees spent two eventful weeks honing their English teaching skills, exploring intercultural theories, and working with mentor teachers at YOLA, CIEE TEFL’s partner school. The program offers participants the opportunity to complete two weeks of practice teaching in another country after 11 weeks of online training. CIEE TEFL plans to facilitate three more cohorts this spring in Vietnam, Thailand, and Spain. Learn more.

Job Opportunity for Arabic, Japanese, Italian, and German Language Teachers

Do you have a passion for supporting high school students in their pursuit to study abroad? Use your language and teaching skills abroad next summer with CIEE! We are hiring Global Navigator High School Program Leaders committed to the process of education, cross-cultural learning, and leadership development for the Global Navigator High School Summer programs in summer 2017. Apply to be based in one of 20+ countries where you will facilitate intercultural, experiential opportunities for high school students visiting the host country. Applicants with Japanese, Italian, Arabic, and German language skills are especially encouraged to apply. Apply online.

Teach in Spain Fall 2017 Applications & Portugal Program Now Open

Applications are now open to teach in Spain with CIEE in fall 2017. Expand your Spanish language skills by living and working in the pueblo, urban, and rural areas in the Community of Madrid and Castilla y León. Learn more and apply.

Also, CIEE now offers a short-term three-month volunteer teaching opportunity in Portugal. Serve as a Language and Culture Assistant helping local teachers in a public school while living in cost-free accommodations and engaging in meaningful cultural exchange with your host family. Be a part of Portugal's nationwide initiative to expand bilingual education as an English teacher and learn Portuguese yourself as you explore this beautiful country. Learn more and apply.

Not sure if teaching abroad is right for you? Hear from CIEE Teach Abroad and CIEE TEFL alum Amy Sininger about her experience in both programs:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Stay up-to-date with alumni events by:

Read about the most recent CIEE Alumni Local Chapter events on the blog.

ALUM OF THE MONTH 

The Alum of the Month for December is Alexandria Polanosky. Alexandria studied abroad in 2015 in Stellenbosch, South Africa. The Ohio University student, who studies photojournalism and environmental studies, spent her semester exploring the area and blogging about her adventures. She continued to share stories about study abroad as a summer travel blogger for College Tourist, writing about topics like sustainable travel, financing study abroad, and travelling with dietary restrictions.

We interviewed Alexandria to learn more about her article on the challenges of reentry, titled "It's Okay to Come Home", which encourages study abroad returnees to find beautiful moments anywhere they go. Read her story.

Do you have your own story to share? Email us: alumni@ciee.org

ALUMNI VOICES

Excerpts from recently published alumni stories:

“My Peace Corps experience thus far has been an incredible roller coaster, but overall so worth it and one of the greater experiences of my life." -Anna Poruks (CIEE Study Abroad in Prague, Czech Republic, 2014) Read her story.

"It is only years later, after being immersed in post-graduation life, that I have come to appreciate the lessons I learned and the long-term impact that living in Ghana had on me. [...] Going abroad changes you; no matter where you go or what career you end up pursuing, you will be a better employee, co-worker, and leader for having had to push your boundaries and learn to adapt while abroad." -Hannah Smalley (CIEE Study Abroad in Legon, Ghana, 2011) Read her story.

@CIEEALUMNI 

From left: CIEE Work & Travel USA alumni gather at CheckPoint Café in Moscow for food and conversation with the CIEE Alumni Russia Chapter; Former CIEE Alumni New York City Chapter vice president and CIEE Study Abroad alum Anna Poruks tells us about life in Senegal as a Peace Corps volunteer; and CIEE Alumni Washington, D.C. Chapter members enjoy a networking picnic on the National Mall.

On social media? So are we! Follow us on Twitter or Instagram @CIEEalumni, and join over 20,000 alumni on our LinkedIn group

Don't forget to update your information to receive important communications and alumni news!

Interested in working with us at CIEE? Browse our open jobs.

ALUMNI NEWS  |  EVENTS  |  CHAPTERS  |  CONTACT US

Photo for blog post Alumni Update - December 2016

300 Fore St. Portland, ME 04101  |  1.207.553.4000  |  ciee.org/alumni

If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here