U.S. Ambassador Marcelle M. Wahba Joins Council on International Educational Exchange Board of Directors

Communications

CIEE: Council on International Education Exchange has elected Ambassador Marcelle M. Wahba, an exemplary leader in international relations and Middle Eastern foreign policy, to its Board of Directors. Ambassador Wahba’s appointment was confirmed at the board’s quarterly meeting in Washington, D.C. on February 27.

A 22-year veteran of the U.S. Department of State, current member of the Council on Foreign Relations, and first president of the Arab Gulf States Institute, Ambassador Wahba brings extensive knowledge of international relations – particularly in the Middle East – to her new position. CIEE offers 13 study abroad programs in the region, including a Business, Engineering, and Arts and Sciences program in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), where Ambassador Wahba served as ambassador extraordinary and plenipotentiary from October 2001 to June 2004.

“CIEE has a long history of leadership and innovation in facilitating high-quality international exchange programs. Ambassador Wahba’s extensive skills and knowledge of the Arab world will bring important insight to CIEE that will strengthen our ability to remain true to our mission to help people increase their knowledge and understanding of others around the world,” noted CIEE President and Chief Executive Officer James Pellow.

During her Foreign Service career, which began in 1986, Ambassador Wahba received the White House Presidential Meritorious Service Award and was decorated by His Highness President Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan with the UAE’s Order of Independence (First Class). Ambassador Wahba retired from the U.S. Department of State, class of minister counselor, in May 2008. Since then, she has served as senior advisor to PineBridge Investments, an asset management firm based in New York City, and led DerMar International LLC, a consulting firm that assists American businesses seeking to establish or expand their presence in the Middle East. Ambassador Wahba graduated from Western College for Women in Oxford, Ohio, with a bachelor’s degree in political science and a minor in international relations, and received a diploma in national security from the National War College, National Defense University, in June 2006.

CIEE’s 16-person Board of Directors is comprised of leaders in education, diplomacy, business, science, and technology, including two former U.S. ambassadors.