Recipients of Ping Taylor Grant Announced

AIFS and CIEE are proud to announce the inaugural recipients of the Ping Taylor Professional Fellows Grant, a development program for professionals to attend national conferences in the field of international education. The following five awardees, selected from a competitive pool of applicants, will use their grant to attend Diversity Abroad’s Global Inclusion conference in San Francisco (October 4-7, 2022):

• Dr. Monija Amani, Executive Director of Global Education, Muhlenberg College
  • Antonio Ellison II, Assistant Director, Study Abroad Diversity Initiatives, Lehigh University
  • Hope Kroll, Student Success Specialist, Michigan State University
  • Stephanie Lopez, Study Abroad Advisor, Iowa State University
  • Vaughn Thornton, Program and Outreach Specialist Global Engagement, Boston College

AIFS and CIEE will provide each awardee up to $2000 towards their travel and registration costs. Diversity Abroad provided additional support through reduced registration fees for the Ping Taylor Professional Fellows.

According to recipient Antonio Ellison, II, Lehigh University, “This is a tremendous opportunity! As a new study abroad professional and Global Inclusion Conference first-timer, I’m excited to have the chance to learn from and network with other researchers and practitioners who are committed to the same cause.”

Hope Kroll, Michigan State University, adds, “Inclusive excellence is paramount to students’ success at every step of their education abroad journey, from program advising to their on-site experiences. I hope to develop new insights and skills to bring back to the education abroad community at MSU.” 

Dr. James Pellow, President and CEO, CIEE, shared, “Soon, the majority of leaders for study abroad and international exchange organizations will be highly-talented professionals of color. CIEE is pleased to help build a bridge to the next generation of leadership through the Ping Taylor Professional Fellows Grant.”

“We are so pleased with this collaboration with CIEE and with our inaugural group”, said William L Gertz, Chairman of AIFS. “It is fitting that they will be announced at Diversity Abroad’s Global Inclusion Conference as this is our combined mission.”

The program honor’s the internationalist and founder of AIFS, Sir Cyril Taylor, and the iconic American educator and former chair of CIEE, Dr. Charles Ping. Dr. Ping and Sir Cyril devoted their professional careers to international education and exchange, with a special focus on mentoring and developing exceptional young leaders to expand the field and its positive impact on global education and world peace.

The Ping Taylor Professional Fellows Grant was established by AIFS and CIEE in 2022 through a donation of $100,000 over the next three years, to support up to 50 higher education administrators and faculty to attend annual conferences led by NAFSA: Association for International Educators, Forum on Education Abroad, and Diversity Abroad.

Applications for the Forum 2023 conference open in January 2023. Visit https://www.ciee.org/go-abroad/for-educators/college-advisors-faculty/ping-taylor-professional-fellows-grant for details.