Information Session in Portugal on Intern Exchange Visitor Program Opportunities

Communications

Today, CIEE hosted an information session highlighting the opportunity of the J-1 visa Intern Exchange Visitor Program. Twenty administrators from Portuguese universities were in attendance, along with representatives from the U.S. Embassy in Lisbon and the State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

CIEE staff highlighted the value of the Intern program in terms of professional and personal development for Portuguese university students – and the how the Intern program can strengthen ties between Portugal and the U.S.

“The reception of the educators to the opportunities presented by the Intern program was exciting” said Phil Simon VP of Professional Exchange Programs. "CIEE looks forward to welcoming many Exchange Visitors from Portugal over the coming years."

In February of this year, Assistant Secretary for Educational and Cultural Affairs Marie Royce and Portuguese Ambassador to the United States Domingos Fezas Vital signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) launching a 12-month pilot program that will provide structured and guided training opportunities in both the United States and Portugal in the areas of innovation, early-stage organizations or projects, and advanced manufacturing.