CIEE is closely following developments regarding the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) and associated travel restrictions. Our Risk Task Force meets regularly to review risk factors at all our program locations, including travel restrictions, COVID management, overall health risks, capacity of healthcare systems, and more.
Thus far, scientists have observed that Omicron is likely more transmissible than previous variants but appears less likely to lead to severe disease and hospitalization. With the current understanding of Omicron, we believe the risk to our students (all of whom are required to be vaccinated and encouraged to get their booster as soon as they are eligible) can be reasonably mitigated.
CIEE is planning to run nearly all scheduled spring 2022 programs, with the exceptions of:
- Gaborone, Botswana
- Arts + Sciences, canceled due to low enrollment
- Rabat, Morocco
- Language + Culture, canceled because travel restrictions extended to December 31
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Liberal Arts, canceled because consulates not granting student visas
We are currently planning to run ALL other CIEE study abroad programs, including:
- Cape Town, South Africa
- January in Cape Town
- Open Campus
- Arts + Sciences
- Tokyo, Japan
- Arts + Sciences
U.S. citizens are not affected by South Africa travel restrictions and will be able to fly home from Cape Town. And we believe it is likely that any travel restrictions imposed by Japan will be lifted prior to the March start date of our program.
How CIEE Will Communicate Any Program Changes
- If there are adjustments to or cancellations of programs, we will immediately reach out to institutional contacts and all accepted and confirmed students.
- For up-to-date information on the status of spring 2022 programs, monitor: ciee.org/spring.
CIEE Program Assurance Advantage
All students on spring 2022 semester study abroad programs can count on CIEE’s Program Assurance Advantage to protect them from financial penalties if their program is cancelled or they notify us of cancellation before the published program start date. This allows students ample time to assess their own tolerance for risk, alter travel arrangements (if needed) and understand local protocols or restrictions. Under this policy, students are entitled to three choices:
- Change programs (where visa, housing, course availability, or other logistical considerations allow)
- Defer participation in their program to another term
- Cancel their application and receive a full refund
Kindly note that students on programs less than four weeks in duration and custom programs are not eligible for CIEE’s Program Assurance Advantage.
Additional details of CIEE’s Program Assurance Advantage on our website.