CIEE Launches Global Institute in Paris; Unveils New Global Internship Program in 11 Locations

CIEE: Council on International Education and Exchange today announced it will open a Global Institute in Paris and offer a new Global Internship program in 11 locations spanning five continents beginning in 2016.

These efforts are part of a larger slate of 11 new programs approved by CIEE’s Academic Consortium Board during its annual meeting at the CIEE Annual Conference, “The Reinvention of Study Abroad: Setting the Course for 2020,” underway today through November 7 in Berlin, Germany.

“We’re listening to our students. They’re asking for more options that fit their busy schedules and rigorous academic requirements. More courses taught in English. And more opportunities to gain real-world work skills while immersing themselves in new cultures. That’s why we’re expanding our Global Institutes, which offer the most flexible study abroad programming available, into more cities and developing new internship and short-term options,” said Maritheresa Frain, executive vice president, study abroad at CIEE. “Our goal is to ensure every student has access to a study abroad program that’s right for their needs, schedule, and resources. With these new programs, we’re well on our way to meeting this goal.”

At the CIEE Global Institute – Paris, which will open in fall 2016, CIEE students will have the option of enrolling in CIEE’s Open Campus program, with the opportunity to combine CIEE courses with one direct enrollment course at a local CIEE host institution, such as the Université Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris 3 or the Université Paris Diderot Paris 7. 

CIEE Global Institutes provide affordable, flexible academic programming options for students of all majors to design their ideal international experience, with options for internships, research projects, and community service. Students can enroll in one, two, or three six-week academic blocks in Paris, or combine blocks at multiple CIEE Global Institutes in Berlin, London, or Rome for comparative academic study.

Following CIEE’s merger with the Academic Internship Council, CIEE will offer a new Global Internship program in 11 locations across North America, Latin America, Africa, Europe, and Asia beginning in summer 2016. The eight-week program, which will be offered in the summer, fall, and spring, combines a full-time, unpaid internship with an integrated academic seminar that offers students of all majors the opportunity to develop professional skills, learn intercultural abilities, and gain professional work experience in a local or multinational company or organization.

“The demand for internships, especially as part of a study abroad experience, has never been greater. In fact, internships and service programs account for nearly 12 percent of all study abroad today. Through our new Global Internship program, students can gain critical skills in some of the world’s leading centers of business and the arts,” continued Frain. “The intensive nature of the Global Internship program, combined with its short eight-week duration, ensures students of every major – from communications to public health to engineering – get maximum impact from their investment over the summer.”

The CIEE Academic Consortium Board also approved nine semester and short-term programs, including:

Short-Term:
• Sao Paulo, Brazil – Business and Culture Short-Term
• Beijing, China – International Relations Short-Term
• Toulouse, France – Language and Culture Short-Term
• Toulouse, France – Engineering, Technology, and Society Short-Term
• Dublin, Ireland – Engineering, Technology, and Society Short-Term
• Ferrara, Italy – Language and Culture Short-Term
• Lima, Peru – Language and Culture Short-Term
• Madrid, Spain – Business and Culture Short-Term

Semester:
• Toulouse, France – Language and Culture

For details on CIEE’s full program offerings, visit www.ciee.org/study.