Study Abroad Morocco: The Ultimate Guide

Summer Arabic Language

Interested in exploring rich historical sites, brushing up on your Arabic language skills, and enjoying the most delectable cuisine imaginable, all while earning credits toward your degree and deepening your global perspective? A study abroad in Morocco program will deliver all of that and more! 

Situated in North Africa, Morocco is a uniquely multilingual and multicultural community home to some of the most stunning natural landscapes you can imagine – not to mention tons of breathtaking waterfalls and picturesque beaches. The country is also steeped in history and culture, and a Morocco study abroad program will provide an educational experience where you’ll learn all about its interesting traditions and customs. You can’t beat that! 

Read on as we provide the ultimate guide to this fantastic destination and discuss the many incredible reasons why studying abroad in Morocco is an absolute must! 

Read More: “Salam, ça va?”: The Unique Linguistic Experience of Morocco 

Is Morocco a Good Place to Study Abroad?  

From its mountaintops to its shorelines, Morocco is a dazzling destination. The country is truly a crossroads of culture, which makes a study abroad Morocco adventure a fantastic choice for enriching your education and deepening your experience as a global citizen.  

Serving as a bridge between Africa, the Middle East, and Europe, Morocco upholds Islamic, African, Arab, and Amazigh cultures in all aspects of everyday life — from its many markets and music to exquisite food and the arts. Combine all of that in a Morocco study abroad program and you’re guaranteed to have the experience of a lifetime! 

Here’s just a sampling of what your study abroad Morocco adventure could entail: 

• An exploration of Rabat’s ancient medina and Kasbah and other sites, including the ancient ruins of Challah and the Andalusian Gardens 
  • An in-depth observation of how local schools and government agencies operate 
  • A Weekend Getaway to the Blue City, Chefchaouen 
  • A mint tea or Arabic coffee-tasting tour (or both if you fancy!) 
  • An excursion to the Hassan II Mosque, the largest functioning mosque in Africa  

In addition to exploring Morocco’s many historic sites and remarkable natural landscapes, you can also enjoy the ambiance of interesting restaurants, cafés, and bistros as you relax in Moroccans’ notable hospitality and laid-back way of life. 

You can even volunteer to participate in service-learning opportunities during your Morocco study abroad trip, where you can: 

• Work with sub-Saharan African migrants and refugees  
  • Shadow a doctor at a children’s hospital  
  • Develop a network of like-minded peers, mentors, and professionals by working with youth empowerment communities at local universities  
  • Lead games or art projects with local students  
  • Strengthen your journalism and media skills by working with local newspapers in English 

See? You really can’t go wrong with a study abroad Morocco opportunity. With so much to do, see, learn, and taste, the possibilities are endless!  

rabat camel ride desert

Read More: On Fridays, We Eat Couscous 

Which City in Morocco is Best to Study In?  

While Morocco is home to many outstanding cities, we have to admit that we’re quite partial to Rabat, where all of our Morocco study abroad programs take place.  

A bustling cultural hub, Rabat is a vibrant capital city full of extraordinary opportunities. While on a Morocco study abroad program, you’ll be able to visit lively markets, view performances at local theaters, and indulge in some of the most delicious foods and dishes! You can even go on fantastic excursions, where you can explore all the city has to offer.  

Some of our favorite tours and trips include: 

• Visits to an Amazigh village in Ourika 
  • Hikes in the High Atlas mountains 
  • Trips to a UNESCO World Heritage Site in coastal Essaouira  
  • Overnight excursions to other captivating cities, including Fez and Marrakesh 

These are just a few amazing ways you’ll make the most of your study abroad Morocco adventure! 

Is it Safe to Study Abroad in Morocco? 

Yes! Morocco is one of the safer study abroad destinations in Africa. But remember, as with any student studying abroad, it’s important to be respectful and mindful of the local culture and customs, stay aware of your surroundings, and travel in groups when possible. Following these tips will ensure your study abroad in Morocco experience is safe, expansive, and everything you want it to be! 

tour rabat study abroad ciee students

What Language Can I Study in Morocco? 

Here’s another cool thing about a Morocco study abroad program: In addition to participating in interesting courses, taking a bite out of the most delicious foods, and exploring amazing historical sites, you’ll also have the opportunity to put your coursework in context and develop skills in two of Morocco’s main languages: Arabic and French! 

Whether you’re a beginner or a pro (or improving on skills you already have), learning a new language is a great way to ensure you make the most of your studies while abroad. Plus, you’ll continue to cultivate life skills that will stay with you long after your Morocco study abroad adventure.  

With our various Morocco study abroad programs, you’ll have the ability to deepen your language skills, and even learn a new one, if you choose!  

Best Morocco Study Abroad Programs 

Now that we’ve discussed the highlights of a study abroad program in Morocco, you’re probably wondering, “How much does it cost to study in Morocco?” It’s a good question, and we have the answer! 

Our Morocco study abroad programs start at $4,650. It’s a smart idea to consider any other associated study abroad Morocco cost to prepare a budget before the adventure of a lifetime.  

And don’t forget to check out our scholarships and grants as you peruse our program offerings and learn more about our Morocco study abroad programs. Here are some of our favorites: 

Summer Arabic Language  

Remember when we mentioned language learning could be a focus of your Morocco study abroad program? We weren’t kidding! In this program, you’ll learn modern, standard, and colloquial Arabic – one of the most sought-after language skills in today’s job market.  

You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in everyday activities – like traditional Moroccan cooking – that will help you practice your new language skills during your time abroad in gorgeous Morocco. 

Program details:  

• Length: Eight weeks 
  • Credits: 10 semester hours/15 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $8,950 

Language + Culture  

Expand your cultural knowledge of Morocco and embark on a vibrant study abroad journey with this exciting program, where you’ll have the opportunity to develop your Arabic and French language skills while earning credits in courses such as Moroccan studies, culture, religion, business, and economics. 

Program details:  

• Length: 16 weeks 
  • Credits: 16-17 semester hours/24-25.5 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $19,950 

casablanca day trip study rabat students

Summer Moroccan Studies 

Explore how Amazigh, Arab, French, Spanish, and North and West African influences have helped form Morocco's identity and contributed to its diversity – and improve your Arabic language skills – in this spectacular summer study abroad program. 

Program details:  

• Length: Four weeks 
  • Credits: 3-4 semester hours/4.5-6 quarter hours  
  • Eligibility: 2.5 Overall GPA  
  • Cost: $4,650 

We know, we know – it’s hard to choose between all the amazing Morocco study abroad programs we have available for you. But you can’t go wrong with any of them!  

Morocco is Calling 

All that’s left to do now is make your decision and start your application – then you’ll be on your way to beautiful Morocco! 

EXPLORE MOROCCO STUDY ABROAD