Yes, better than the others? It's Daejeon!

Teach In South Korea Program

Kruschef S.

Is Daejeon better than Seoul and Busan? Yes, I would say so for my lifestyle, which you might share. Daejeon lies at the center of the country. Every city, all the nightlife, all the national parks, people, and mural villages are places I can tap into whenever I choose. Thanks to the splendid high speed rail system in Korea, this central location is the best. If you are from a country without high speed rail support like me, it might be hard to imagine traveling by train to every corner of Korea with relative ease. But! It is incredibly easy and convenient. Seoul is an hour away which is perfect  for a day trip or a weekend getaway. Busan is  an hour and a half away, which is perfect for a day trip or a weekend getaway.Then once all is said and done, you can head back to a much smaller, much more manageable city, away from the loud city streets of the more densely populated cities. Which reminds me! This is still a city! Need city nightlife? Daejeon has it. Need theater, cafes, and markets? Daejeon has it. Need mountains accessible by public transit? We got it! Gorgeous biking path and river walks? We got it! 

This city has several hubs  spread around the metropolitan area, each with its own unique vibe. Skyroad by Daejeon Station is probably my favorite. This area has more shopping and activities for a fun filled day with friends. My friends and I have gone rollerskating, to board game cafes, eaten at brunch spots, and plan on visiting some arcades with nearby archery ranges soon. This little patch also contains  Sumsindang, a famous bakery featured on countless shows and plenty of youtube videos about Daejeon. Michelin stars will do that to a place. It is the ideal spot to satisfy your sweet tooth, though I only recommend going during the weekday because the weekend brings people from far and wide in this little bakery. 

Dunsan is for the nightlife. This is where we find clubs, restaurants, and bars to hop into for a night out. It’s a lively area to blow off some steam. Here we find the locals and the foreigner network on the weekends.

Now I know what you are thinking… “It can’t possibly have it all, can it?”

Dear reader, I am here to tell you that yes it can! Back when my spine was perfectly aligned, I love hiking. I still do, now I just climb up diagonally. Where do I hike? There are over 20 miles of loops around the city. There is a much larger loop which traverses all the mountains surrounding the city. These are all accessible by bus, taxi, and walking. I’ve taken to climbing in the early morning for some light exercise.

If you want a more isolated experience, I would recommend heading down to Jangtaesan as my friends and I did in October. Plenty of videos and pictures online can show you everything you need to know when visiting. The trails are more on the intermediate side, but there are also smaller trails for those who might need a more relaxed hike. This is easily one of the best photo spots in the area. During the fall season, this place is inundated by both foreign and local tourists clamoring to catch a glimpse of the amber, orange, and red sea of trees from one of the viewpoints. 

Daejeon has plenty to offer. I’ve been here for 6 months and the city has helped me live a connected life without too much hustle and bustle of the bigger cities. I make time to find cute cafes to work away for a few hours with hobbies and find myself along the river even in the cold season. I’ve enjoyed my city tucked away in a basin in the middle of the country and I think you might too.