Where to Take a Visitor in Madrid

Taylor M.

So you’ve been in Madrid a few months now and your first visitor is finally coming! There are the obvious sights to see like museums and flamenco shows, but there are lots of hidden gems worth exploring with your guests. I’ve compiled a short list to help take some stress off of itinerary planning for you and your visitor. Here’s a list of things to do in Madrid that range everywhere from touristy to local. 

Palacio Real de Madrid 

One of my favorite places to take visitors is the Palacio Real de Madrid. Not only is it impressive from the outside, but the inside is equally impressive. You can start by taking your visitor through the Sabatini Gardens, located to the north of the palace. If you’re there on a Wednesday or Saturday from 11am to 2pm, you can also catch a changing of the guard ceremony. Inside the palace, you can see the royal armory, the crown room, the hall of mirrors and more. General tickets inside the palace are 12 euros per person, and well worth all you’re able to see inside. 

Retiro/Oeste Park

Another typical tourist attraction you shouldn’t miss is Retiro park. I love bringing visitors to walk around the park and have a picnic. There are so many spots to explore within the park, such as the rose gardens, crystal palace or the pond where you can rent row boats. If you don’t get your park fill from Retiro, Oeste park is another great park to visit. Try to go at sunset for great views, and be sure to stop at Templo de Debod (located within the park). 

Gran Vía 

Shopping on Gran Vía is another must-do. While walking down the street, I recommend stopping near the Callao metro station, as there are usually events going on in the square. If your guest is a big shopper, Calle de Fuencarral, located right off of Gran Vía, has plenty more smaller stores to discover.  If thrifting is more your speed, the trendy neighborhood of Malasaña is a great place to wander.  

Mercados

There are endless options when it comes to eating in Madrid. Besides taking your visitor to experience traditional Spanish tapas, I think it's important to also bring them to a market. Although Mercado de San Miguel is the largest and most popular, my personal favorite is Mercado de San Ildefonso. With multiple levels, there is a little more seating but still a large variety of food stalls. Additionally, Friday and Saturday nights have a live DJ, making it one of my favorite places to grab dinner before going out for the night. 

Nightlife 

Speaking of going out, I’d be remiss if I didn't suggest stopping at one of Madrid's many nightclubs. The nightlife in Madrid is like no other. Regardless of which type of music you enjoy, there is a nightclub in Madrid for you. Teatro Kapital is a popular destination for tourists as it has a whopping 7 stories. If you’re looking for a spot with more locals, some of my favorites are Club Malasaña, Istar, or Club Vendido.  

Real Madrid Game

Provided your visitor comes during soccer season, try to make it to a Real Madrid game. Whether or not you’re a soccer fan, the energy at San Bernabeu stadium is something you have to experience firsthand! Ticket prices will vary on time of the season and the opponent. However, even sitting in the nosebleeds I had a great time. 

Rooftop Bar

Last but not least, take your visitor to a rooftop bar. There are so many cool bars to choose from for dinner or just drinks, all with incredible views. Some of my favorite rooftop bars include Azotea del Circulo, Casa Suecia and Terraza de Sabatini.