No Pasa Nada — A New Perspective on Day-to-Day Life

Katherine D.

One of the biggest differences between Spain and the United States that has been both difficult and rewarding to adjust to has been the lack of urgency. In the United States, everything is so scheduled. People eat at the same times for the most part every day. We eat fast and have the largest fast-food industry in the world because we're always on the go, trying to get to the next thing on our to-do list. The to-do lists are also endless. We frequently work through meals. Being late to anything is largely frowned upon. The United States is a country of appointments, meetings and deadlines. In Spain, I've learned a saying that embodies their perspective on time and urgency: No pasa nada. This means, don't worry about it, it's not a big deal, everything is fine. It's often said with a shrug of the shoulders and in a very calm, chill tone of voice. (In my region of Spain, this saying is shortened to, "No pasa na." At least, that's what the teachers at my school told me to say if I want to sound cool.)

Here, people are frequently late. People take their time to eat their food--there's no sense of urgency, no feeling that there is somewhere else you have to be. Once you get your food, waiters usually leave you alone and won't bring you your check unless the restaurant is about to close or you find the waiter and ask them. They assume you are going to spend hours there, eating food and talking with whoever you came with. Almost all stores, restaurants and banks close for siesta every day, which takes place from about 2 pm to 6 pm. It's a time to rest, and people spend this time either napping or with their family and friends. This was honestly a bit frustrating when we first got here because we needed to go to the stores and the bank to get our apartment set up, but none of them were open when we needed to go. Siesta also forced us to get on a Spanish eating schedule--restaurants often close after 2 and don't open again until 8 pm for dinner.

In addition, all of the locals I've met and gotten to get to know are so positive. Things that would normally ruin an American's day, Spanish people find a way to say, "No pasa na" and find the bright side. For example, I got to school a little early this past Thursday and spent twenty minutes or so chatting with another teacher. After talking about what we each did the night before and having positive conversation about our students, she casually brought up the fact that her car engine entirely broke that morning. Replacing an engine isn't cheap in the US, and it isn't cheap in Spain either. But she said in the most calm tone, "It's okay, my walk to work this morning was beautiful, and I got to get some exercise." In the United States, a person would have started the conversation off with their car struggle, especially if it was something as serious as a car engine breaking. Here, the people don't let things like that impact them as heavily. 

I've come to appreciate this perspective. The more time I spend with the locals here, the more I embody the "no pasa na" mantra. My apartment mates and I struggled for a while to get our WiFi and our washing machine broke before we really got a chance to use it. These are frustrating events, but I've definitely been less affected by them than I would have been in the US. My headspace is clearing up of pesky, worried thoughts. I thoroughly enjoy meals not just as a way to get food into my body, but as an experience with friends. I absolutely love hearing and saying "no pasa na," because it is the Spanish way of saying, everything will be okay. Enjoy the now.

Also, just a general update on how my week went: I taught history classes all week, which meant I head to either learn or re-learn about 4 different periods in world history. By the end of the week, my lesson plans were the perfect length for class periods, students were engaged, and I've learned some great, effective methods to check for English comprehension. I bought a ukulele at the end of the week because this week I'm teaching 7 different sections of music classes. The students and teachers are so excited to hear me play ukulele in class, so it'll be a nice break from the crash courses in world history. I spent my birthday weekend in Granada with Halie, a friend I met at orientation in Seville. We had a great time checking out La Alhambra and the Arab baths. We spent a good chunk of our time just roaming and getting lost in the gorgeous streets of Granada. Above is a picture of me and Halie at the top of the Alcazaba at La Alhambra with the Sierra Nevada mountain range in the background.