The Next Step: Finding CIEE

Nicole L.

In March of this year, I was hit with the realisation that I would be graduating college in May. Most of the time we are always so focused on the future, wondering what comes next, that we often forget to live in the moment. For once in my life, I was doing the exact opposite. Choosing to live in the present, and living in denial of the fact that after I graduated in May, that I, like many other graduates, would have no idea what comes next. Every phone call with my father always ended in the same question "So, have you found a job yet?", to which I would promise each and every time that I was indeed on the job hunt (I most definitely was not!). Friends who were also graduating were getting grad school applications underway, taking LSAT's and MCAT's, and finding internships to launch them into their next career. I on the other hand knew only two things, firstly that I wanted to continue living in Europe, and secondly, that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. There was no masters programme I was interested in enough to spend the next two years of my life, and more Sallie-Mae loans on, which left me with finding a job as my only option. I signed up for a mentorship programme at my college, and they paired me with an alum who like me, was never interested in a traditional lifestyle with a steady 9-5 job. She originally recommended joining the Peace Corps, however, at the time they were not running any programmes due to COVID. That is when she suggested to me CIEE Teach Abroad. She knew teaching was a career option I was considering, and the moment I read about the programme I knew this was what I had been searching for. This programme will allow me to see if teaching is truly what I wish to do in the future, continue my European journey, and get to live in another country. I grew up having exchange students in the house, some of whom were Spanish, and I myself have been to Madrid 8 times before. When I saw this programme was in Madrid, that truly sealed the deal for me, as it is a place I know and love very much.  I heard back from the programme mid-April, and was insanely excited to have figured out my path for the next year of my life. I am taking the next step in life, putting myself out there into the scary world of adulting and hopefully everything pans out the way I hope it will. 

Until Next Time, 

Nikki In Wanderland