A Few Things I Wish I Would Have Brought For My Moroccan Classroom

Elizabeth M.

I am a few months into teaching at this point and there are some things that I wish I would have brought with me that I think would have made my introduction to teaching a little smoother. The school does provides paper for tests, an occasional stapler, a paper cutter, and whiteboard markers, and an eraser in each classroom so, those supplies are covered.

I brought the basics. Pens and pencils for me to use for grading and other miscellaneous needs as well as a laptop and a notebook or two. I am SO glad I brought a laptop! Sometimes I get nervous about carrying it back and forth from home to school, but I don’t know what I would do without it!

1. Pens, Pencils, Erasers, Whiteout, Crayons, Markers. I am now wishing I would have bought some other class supplies with me in the beginning. And when I say buy quantity over quality, I mean it. You will most likely have a few young learner classes and those markers will break, run out, or disappear before you know it. So, you will want to hit up your closest dollar store to stock up before coming. 
  2. Decks of Cards. Cards are a great way to break students into random groups and it is easy to build an ESL lesson around a deck. Just give suits, colors, or numbers a value or question or grammar point and you have an easy review game.
  3. Sharpies. Sharpies haven't made it here yet, so bring some for poster making and in-class projects. Thin tip and chisel tip will suffice.
  4. Organizational Binder. If you have a prefered way to stay organized as a teacher, I would bring those supplies with you. Like I said, I brought very little and I ended up having to change the way I would typically like to stay organized in order to fit the binders and folders I was able to find. 
  5. Bluetooth Speaker. This is an item that would be good to bring for in and outside the classroom. Some of the curriculum books come with audio listening tracks and sometimes a laptop speaker isn't loud enough and just doesn't cut it.
  6. Mini Stapler. It may sound dumb now, but it would have been useful to have had one of my own from the beginning instead of tracking down one of the two staplers that the staff all share.
  7. Stickers. You will have at least one young learner class with students around 6 to 9 years old. They are easily amused with pretty markers and stickers and if that can be used to help them relate to you as a teacher, then buy those darn $2 stickers! I promise they'll love you for it!
  8. Tape. Buy it all; Scotch tape, painters tape, duct tape. Its expensive here and relatively hard to find and it will be so convenient to just have you own from the beginning.

I am sure I am forgetting things, but I think this is a good starting list for you!

Stay Searching,

Elizabeth~