Cities to Visit other than Seoul

Kyleah P.

Okay, so when you hear about South Korea, you always hear about Seoul. Everything happens in Seoul from K-dramas to concerts, from making your own custom foundation to visiting themed cafes. Social Media and other posts will have you believing that Seoul is the only city in South Korea or at least the only one worth visiting. I am here to tell you differently. Here are some of my top cities to visit while in South Korea:

1) The obvious answer is Busan! It is located all the way on the opposite side of the country from Seoul, in the South. Busan has many beaches, the most popular ones being Haeundae and Gwangalli Beach where you can watch yacht firework shows and drone shows. Busan also offers a plethora of temples, arcades, amusement parks, gardens, and museums to visit. It also offers a wide variety of concerts and festivals to join in during all seasons!

Photo for blog post Cities to Visit other than Seoul

2) Daegu is the third largest city in South Korea. It offers delicious food from family owned restaurants, street markets, riding motorbikes by the riverside, free University concerts and much more. However, it is known as the hottest city in South Korea so beware of it in the summer.

3) Daejeon is the fifth largest city in Korea. It offers many different places to go shopping with varying styles inspired by Korean beauty standards and western fashion. It has English bookstores, parks, museums, etc. The area is also quite peaceful so if you are looking for a slower paced large city then I definitely recommend Daejeon. 

4) If you are visiting Korea, you should also visit Gyeongju, which is more of a historical city with Palaces and temples that tourists can visit and walk around. There is a lot of hiking that can be done as well as an amusement park, Gyeongju World. So, if you’re a history adrenaline junkie then Gyeongju is the place for you!

5) And now one of my favorite cities to visit is Pohang. Pohang is a coastal city with aesthetic cafes, a sky walk, beaches, and amazing street markets. The food tastes amazing, the beach is so clean and clear. The people are polite and welcoming, very supportive of the touristy lifestyle. My friends and I were filming TikToks and we had people clapping for us, smiling at us, offering to film for us, and even joining in on the trends. This experience warmed my heart and easily placed Pohang at the top of my list for Korean cities. However, be aware of how far it is from your city and the public transportation schedule. My friends and I almost got stranded in Pohang after our day trip because there were no other buses going out of the city. So, don't be like us and make sure you double check everything before departing. 

6) And last but not least, my city aka Ulsan aka the seventh largest city in Korea. Now Ulsan is mostly an industrial city with most people moving here to work in the Hyundai factories, but there is still so much to do here. You can spend the day at the observatory watching the ships come in with supplies. You can go to the famous Daewangam Park and walk across the suspension bridge. You can go to Ilsan beach to set off fireworks and see busking. You can visit Seuldo Island, musuems, art galleries, and do lots of shopping. Ulsan is a quiet city but it is full of life. 

I hope these help you plan out your own trip to South Korea and help you get a new perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love Seoul, but it is very much a large modern city. I have been able to see a different side to Korean people and culture by traveling to the smaller cities in the South. I have learned a lot more about South Korea in these cities than I ever did in Seoul. Seoul is more of the place where you do the touristy thing and just get to say that you have been to Seoul. But if you want a more enriched experience full of immersion into the actual history and culture of South Korea then I highly suggest visiting other cities. They don't have to be any of the above, but everyone who comes to korea should experience both Seoul and another city unlike Seoul.