7 weeks in Spain: Plazas, Wine, and New Friends

Teach In Spain Program + 2 Weeks of Spanish Immersion

Kailey R.

Somehow, I have already been in Spain for 7 weeks! To celebrate, here are my 7 favorite things about Spain so far:

1. The Plazas!  I love the emphasis on spending time with friends and family outside in these communal spaces.  My new favorite hobby is sitting in plazas, drawing, and people-watching.  
  2. Rent Prices! I was really worried about surviving on the teaching stipend here.  Fortunately, housing is much more affordable than in the USA. Most of my friends found housing for under 500 euros/month in Madrid (I am outside of the city and my rent is less than 400 euros/month).    
  3. Food Prices!  In the USA, my groceries averaged $80/week. Without cutting back at all, my groceries here only cost about $50/week.    Also, a decent bottle of wine will only cost you 2 euros at the grocery store (!!!!). 
  4. Tinto de Verano! This is the slightly less touristy and the slightly-less-likely-to-give-you-a-hangover version of sangria.  The drink is red wine mixed with soda (typically, a lemon flavor). It is so refreshing (and sweet!). 
  5. Public Transportation!  The public transportation system in Madrid is very easy to navigate and fairly affordable (especially, if you are under 26 years old--only 20 euros/month!).  
  6. The CIEE Community! Moving to a foreign country without knowing anyone is pretty intimidating.  Luckily, through the CIEE orientation and the 2-week immersion program, I have been able to make some great connections and I have more than enough opportunities to socialize each week.
  7. Cheap Flights! The Madrid Barajas airport is very close and accessible by public transportation, which only makes it easier to convince yourself to buy that $60 flight to Mallorca or Prague for the weekend!