Grades and Transcripts
If you have recently returned to the U.S. from your college-level study abroad program, welcome home! If you are planning to continue your travels or studies abroad, we wish you every success.
This FAQ is intended to provide an explanation for CIEE college-level study abroad students about how and when academic records from study abroad are reported.
Please read all of the following information carefully.
URGENT NOTICE REGARDING TEMPORARY CHANGES IN PROCESS DUE TO COVID-19:
Effective until further notice, the CIEE Portland Office is closed in accordance with the guidelines of the State of Emergency status declared by the State of Maine. CIEE Portland staff are working remotely and have no access to physical academic records or postal services.
- For initial grade reporting for recent returnees: CIEE surveyed Grades Contacts at our U.S. partner universities to verify whether they will accept soft copies of grade reports during this time, or if they require the hard copy documents to transfer credits. As grades are reported from abroad, students’ CIEE Academic Records will be processed according to the method their home schools have indicated; however, we anticipate that with Emergency Orders in place across the world affecting our host institutions, there may be delays in grade reporting beyond the standard timelines noted below.
- Students whose schools indicated they will accept soft copies of grade reports: CIEE will send soft copies as close to the outlined timelines noted in the FAQs below as possible.
- Students whose schools indicated they are open and accepting physical mail and will only accept hard copies of transcripts: grade reports will not be sent until the State of Maine removes the Emergency Order.
- Students whose schools indicated they are not open and will only accept hard copies of transcripts: CIEE will not send grades until the home school notifies email@example.com that they are open and able to receive mail.
- As always, grades are made available for students to view in their CIEE online accounts, once they have been fully processed and sent to their home institutions.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we strive to support our students under these challenging circumstances.
For more information and updates related to COVID-19, please visit the CIEE COVID page.
Q: HOW DOES THE GRADE REPORTING PROCESS WORK?Click to Open
A: Upon completion of your program, CIEE center staff send final grade reports, along with an official transcript from the host institution when available, to the CIEE Portland, Maine office. A CIEE Academic Record (CAR) is then created, issued, and forwarded to your home institution, along with the official transcript from the host institution, when available.
Note that you, as the student, will not be sent a copy of your CAR or grades from CIEE, since it is your home institution or School of Record that designates whether (and how) your credits and grades will transfer to your degree program. If you attended a CIEE program during or after Spring 2018, you may view your grades in your online CIEE account under “Course Registration & Grades” once they have been sent to your sending institution.
The CAR, approved by the CIEE Academic Consortium, lists each course title, along with the language of instruction, hours of instruction, recommended semester hours of credit and suggested U.S. grade equivalency. In addition, each CAR is accompanied by an academic guide that includes detailed information on the host institution, admissions requirements, nature of the courses offered at that location, the academic calendar, and a grade conversion chart (when applicable).
Q: HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR MY GRADES TO BE PROCESSED?Click to Open
A: Grade reporting at most overseas institutions does not happen as quickly as it does in the U.S. Students’ home institutions typically receive final grades from CIEE within 10 to 12 weeks after the program ending date. Please be aware, however, that some sites take much longer to report grades to the CIEE Portland office. This is primarily the case for some programs offering direct enrollment courses (e.g. but not limited to, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, London, and Seville), due to the fact that collection of these final grades depends on local institutions and their individual grade reporting procedures.
If you participated on the program through CIEE’s School of Record, Tulane University, please note that it typically takes an additional 3 weeks for your grades to be processed and forwarded to your home school. CIEE sends the CIEE Academic Record to Tulane University, who then creates and sends an official transcript to your home institution. As a service to you, Tulane University will send an official copy of your transcript to your permanent address at the same time that they send an official copy to your home school, since the recorded grades with Tulane University are an official record of your study abroad. Please keep in mind that if you break the seal across the envelope closure of the transcript copy, it will no longer be considered “official”.
Q: WHAT HAPPENS AFTER CIEE PORTLAND SENDS THE GRADE REPORT TO MY US SENDING SCHOOL?Click to Open
A: After receiving the CIEE Academic Record, information is entered onto the transcript at your home institution per their own policies and procedures—or onto the transcript offered through CIEE’s School of Record (SOR), if you applied to the program requesting to study through an SOR—and this becomes the official record of your participation in a CIEE program. Please keep in mind that your US sending school ultimately determines how credits and grades are counted and transfer into their system.
Q: WHAT IF I STILL OWE MONEY TO CIEE FOR MY PROGRAM FEES OR FOR A DEBT I INCURRED WHILE ON MY PROGRAM THAT WENT UNPAID AFTER I RETURNED TO THE US?Click to Open
A: CIEE Academic Records are not released when participants have outstanding financial obligations to the CIEE Portland office or to the program site. If you owe any funds to CIEE, you will be sent a bill for those outstanding fees via your online account shortly after the debt is reported to the Portland office. In many cases, these debts are reported prior to CIEE Portland’s receipt of the grade reports to allow you time to make the payment in full before the grades are fully processed, so you can avoid any delays in having your grades sent to your home school. Any balance must be paid in full (with cleared funds) to the CIEE Portland, Maine office for grades to be released to home schools or to any other recipient.
Q: WHOM SHOULD I CONTACT ABOUT ANY GRADE-RELATED QUESTIONS?Click to Open
A: The CIEE Registration team members are the only people who are authorized to release student’s final grades, and no grades can be released via phone. Any inquiries about grades—either before or after they have been reported—must be directed to the CIEE Registration team (firstname.lastname@example.org), rather than to the overseas staff. The overseas staff will not have the most up-to-date information about the status of your grades, so please only contact the CIEE Portland office with your questions. Please be sure to include the term, year, and program name in the subject line of any email message you send.
Q: HOW DO I REQUEST A COPY OF MY CIEE ACADEMIC RECORD OR SCHOOL OF RECORD TRANSCRIPT AND WHAT WILL BE INCLUDED?Click to Open
A: If you participated on the program through CIEE’s School of Record, you may request additional copies of your official transcript from them directly. (Note only about 10% of CIEE students participate via School of Record. If you’re not sure if you were a School of Record student, please contact CIEE at email@example.com to verify before contacting the schools below. Students whose home schools did not identify that the School of Record (SOR) transcript was required on the student’s original program application are not eligible to request retroactive enrollment as an SOR student.)
- Students studying on CIEE college Study Abroad from Fall 2016 to present (or High School Global Navigator Summer Language & Culture programs, starting in Summer 2016): Contact Tulane University. You may request a copy of your Tulane University transcript here.
- Students who studied on CIEE college Study Abroad programs between Spring 2004 and Summer 2016: Contact Spelman College. You may request a copy of your Spelman College transcript here.
If you participated on the program as a CIEE Academic Record student (or were a School of Record participant from earlier than Spring 2004), you may submit a request using the information below under REQUEST A COPY OF YOUR CIEE ACADEMIC RECORD.
Once you submit a request, we will provide the following:
- An official copy of your CIEE Academic Record (CAR)
- A CAR guide that includes a grading rubric (for programs from fall 2000 – present)
- A letter of explanation to accompany the CAR
Our CAR lists the total number of attempted credits and grades earned during your program. Final authority for awarding of credit from your term(s) abroad rests with the appropriate authority at your home institution or School of Record (SOR). Once credit is awarded, the home institution (or SOR) transcript becomes the official permanent record of your program participation.
The official CAR is individually signed and sealed across the envelope closure. If you request that the documents be sent to you directly, please be aware that if the seal is broken, the CAR immediately becomes unofficial.
Note that in order to obtain an official grade report for courses taken through a Host University, you will need to request that record directly from the Host University. CIEE may also be able to provide copies of original Host Institution documents, when available.
Request a Copy of your CIEE Academic Record
DUE TO COVID-19 State of Emergency recommendations, the CIEE Portland office is closed and staff are working remotely, and processing times below have been adjusted due to the high volume of requests at this time. We are currently only able to send official PDFs of the CIEE Academic Record via encrypted email to graduate schools, admissions offices, or other transcript processing authorities.
- We are unable to send official PDF grade reports directly to participants.
- Students are responsible for verifying with recipients, BEFORE filing a request with CIEE, that they will accept a PDF of the CIEE Academic Record attached to an encrypted email. Refunds will not be granted for processed requests for any reason where the receiver does not accept the soft copy of the grade report; however, CIEE will reissue a hard copy of the report to the intended recipient upon request, and upon re-opening of the office, at no additional expense to the student.
- Request forms sent to CIEE via mail or paid via check/money order, instead of sent via email with payment via credit card, will experience significant processing delays until the CIEE Portland office re-opens.
- Requests for programs prior to Spring 2003 cannot be expedited at this time.
To request an official copy of your CIEE Academic Record (CAR) (in addition to the original that is automatically sent directly to your home school or School of Record upon program completion), please print and complete the CIEE Transcript Request Form and return it to the CIEE Portland Office via scanned email attachment or mail as instructed on the form. Once we receive your request, you will receive an auto-reply, and we will send a follow up confirmation once your request has been processed.
- An unofficial copy of the CIEE Academic Record for participants studying with CIEE between Spring 2003 and the present can be emailed directly to you, free of charge. The CIEE Transcript Request Form must be completed for this as well. Standard processing time for unofficial copies is 15 business days*. If you are requesting an unofficial copy in addition to (and at the same time as) a “Standard” or “Expedited” official transcript request, the unofficial copy will be processed in the same timeframe as the official documents.
- Payment may be made by credit card (Visa or MasterCard only), or by check or money order (payable to CIEE).
- If you have an outstanding financial or administrative obligation to CIEE, your request will not be processed until the balance has been paid in full with cleared funds and/or outstanding paperwork has been received.
- Please be sure to include any additional instructions or required forms specific to your needs (e.g. LSDAS/LSAC form or AMCAS form, if applicable) with your request.
- Email and phone requests will not be accepted, as an official, handwritten signature from the student is required.
ALUMNI ACADEMIC RECORD REQUEST PROCESSING TIMES
|Processing time||15 business days*||5 business days*|
|Delivery method||PDF attached via encrypted email, sent only to institutional representatives||PDF attached to encrypted email, sent only to institutional representatives|
|Fee||$15 per transcript||$15 per transcript + $25 per request for expedited service|
*Effective until further notice, CIEE Portland business hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00am – 5:00pm.
While CIEE administered your study abroad program, your home institution officially grants the credits earned on the program toward your degree program, and as such they issue the official transcript of record for your study abroad experience. CIEE Academic Record copies come with a letter of explanation and are signed and sealed, and the copies are generally accepted as supplemental, detailed documentation to your home school transcript.
ATTN: Study Abroad Registration
300 Fore Street
Portland, ME 04101