Grades and Transcripts
If you have recently returned to the U.S. from your college-level study abroad program, welcome home! If you are planning to continue your travels or studies abroad, we wish you every success.
This FAQ is intended to provide an explanation for CIEE college-level study abroad students about how and when academic records from study abroad are reported.
Please read all the following information carefully.
URGENT NOTICE REGARDING TEMPORARY CHANGES IN PROCESS DUE TO COVID-19:
Effective March 26, 2020 until further notice, CIEE Maine staff are working remotely and have limited access to physical academic records and postal services.
- For initial grade reporting for recent returnees: CIEE surveyed Grades Contacts at our U.S. partner universities to verify whether they will accept soft copies of grade reports during this time, or if they require the hard copy documents to transfer credits. As grades are reported from abroad, students’ CIEE Academic Records will be processed according to the method their home schools have indicated; however, there may be delays in grade reporting beyond the standard timelines noted below.
- Students whose schools indicated they will accept soft copies of grade reports: CIEE will send soft copies as close as possible to the outlined timelines noted in the FAQs below.
- Students whose schools indicated they are open and accepting physical mail and will only accept hard copies of transcripts: CIEE will send hard copies as close as possible to the outlined timelines noted in the FAQs below.
- Students whose schools indicated they are not open and will only accept hard copies of transcripts: CIEE will not send grades until the home school notifies email@example.com that they are open and able to receive mail.
- As always, grades are made available for students to view in their CIEE online accounts once they have been fully processed and sent to their home institutions.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we strive to support our students under these challenging circumstances.
For information and updates related to COVID-19, please visit the dedicated CIEE Covid-19 Guidelines site.
Q: HOW DOES THE GRADE REPORTING PROCESS WORK?Click to Open
A: Upon completion of your program, CIEE center staff send final grade reports, along with an official transcript from the host institution when available, to the CIEE Maine Office. A CIEE Academic Record (CAR) is then created, issued, and forwarded to your home institution, along with the official transcript from the host institution, when available.
Note that you, as the student, will not be sent a copy of your CAR or grades from CIEE, since it is your home institution or School of Record that designates whether (and how) your credits and grades will transfer to your degree program. If you attended a CIEE program during or after Spring 2018, you may view your grades in your online CIEE account under “Course Registration & Grades” once they have been sent to your sending institution.
The CAR, approved by the CIEE Academic Consortium, lists each course title, along with the language of instruction, hours of instruction, recommended semester hours of credit and suggested U.S. grade equivalency. In addition, each CAR is accompanied by an academic guide that includes detailed information on the host institution, admissions requirements, nature of the courses offered at that location, the academic calendar, and a grade conversion chart (when applicable).
Q: HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE FOR MY GRADES TO BE PROCESSED?Click to Open
A: Grade reporting at most overseas institutions does not happen as quickly as it does in the U.S. Students’ home institutions typically receive final grades from CIEE within 10 to 12 weeks after the program ending date. Please be aware, however, that some sites take much longer to report grades to the CIEE Maine Office. This is primarily the case for some programs offering host university courses (e.g., but not limited to, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Gaborone, London, Madrid, Paris, Seville, and Toulouse), since collection of these final grades depends on local institutions and their individual grade reporting procedures.
If you participated on the program through CIEE’s School of Record, Tulane University, please note that it typically takes an additional 3 weeks for your grades to be processed and forwarded to your home school. CIEE sends the CIEE Academic Record to Tulane University, who then creates and sends an official transcript to your home institution. As a service to you, Tulane University will send an official copy of your transcript to your permanent address once they send an official copy to your home school, since the recorded grades with Tulane University are an official record of your study abroad. Please keep in mind that if you break the seal across the envelope closure of the transcript copy, it will no longer be considered “official”.
Q: WHAT HAPPENS AFTER CIEE MAINE SENDS THE GRADE REPORT TO MY US SENDING SCHOOL?Click to Open
A: After receiving the CIEE Academic Record, information is entered onto the transcript at your home institution per their own policies and procedures—or onto the transcript offered through CIEE’s School of Record (SOR), if you applied to the program requesting to study through an SOR—and this becomes the official record of your participation in a CIEE program. Please keep in mind that regardless of whether your home school receives the CAR or SOR transcript, your home school ultimately determines whether or how credits and grades are counted and transfer into their system.
Q: WHAT IF I OWE CIEE MONEY OR REQUIRED PAPERWORK?Click to Open
A: CIEE Academic Records are not released* when participants have outstanding financial or administrative obligations to the CIEE Maine Office or to the program site. If you owe any funds to CIEE, you will be sent a bill for those outstanding fees via your online account shortly after the debt is reported to the Maine office. In many cases, these debts are reported prior to CIEE Maine’s receipt of the grade reports to allow you time to make the payment in full before the grades are fully processed, so you can avoid any delays in having your grades sent to your home school. Any balance must be paid in full (with cleared funds) to the CIEE Maine Office for grades to be released to home schools or to any other recipient. (*The home schools of students who fail more than 50% of attempted coursework will be notified of their failure to pass all their courses and may be sent a preliminary copy of the grade report, regardless of any outstanding obligations to CIEE, but the official grade report will not be released to the student or home school until the obligations are met.)
Q: WHOM SHOULD I CONTACT ABOUT ANY GRADE-RELATED QUESTIONS?Click to Open
A: The CIEE Registration team members are the only people who are authorized to release student’s final grades, and no grades can be released via phone. Any inquiries about grades—either before or after they have been reported—must be directed to the CIEE Registration team (firstname.lastname@example.org), rather than to overseas staff. Overseas staff will not have the most up-to-date information about the status of your grades; additionally, grades listed in Canvas are not considered “final” and are subject to change, so please only contact the CIEE Registration team with your questions. Please be sure to include the term, year, and program name in the subject line of any email message you send.
Q: HOW DO I REQUEST AN ADDITIONAL COPY OF MY CIEE ACADEMIC RECORD OR SCHOOL OF RECORD TRANSCRIPT AND WHAT WILL BE INCLUDED?Click to Open
A: The request process differs, depending on the type of grade report your CIEE program application indicated you should receive;
- If you participated on the program through CIEE’s School of Record (SOR), you may request additional copies of your official transcript from them directly. (Note only about 10% of CIEE students participate via SOR. If you’re not sure if you were an SOR student, please contact CIEE at email@example.com to verify before contacting the schools below. Students whose home schools did not identify that the SOR transcript was required on the student’s original program application are not eligible to request retroactive enrollment as an SOR student.)
- SOR students studying either on CIEE college Study Abroad from Fall 2016 to present, or on High School Study Abroad Global Navigator Summer Language & Culture programs starting in Summer 2016: Contact Tulane University here to request a copy of your Tulane University transcript.
- SOR students who studied on CIEE college Study Abroad programs between Spring 2004 and Summer 2016: Contact Spelman College here to request a copy of your Spelman College transcript.
- If you participated on the program as a CIEE Academic Record student (or were a School of Record participant from earlier than Spring 2004), you may submit a request using the information below under 'Request a Copy of your CIEE Academic Record'
Once you submit a CIEE Academic Record request, we will provide the following:
- An official copy of your CIEE Academic Record (CAR)
- A CAR guide that includes a grading rubric (for programs from fall 2000 – present)
- A letter of explanation to accompany the CAR
Our CAR lists the number of attempted credits and grades earned for each course taken on any CIEE program. Final authority for awarding of credit from your term(s) abroad rests with the appropriate authority at your home institution or SOR for each approved term of study. Once credit is awarded, the home institution (or SOR) transcript becomes the official permanent record of your program participation.
When sent in hard copy, the envelope closure of each official CAR is signed and sealed. If you request that the documents be sent to you directly, please be aware that if the seal is broken, the CAR immediately becomes unofficial.
When sent electronically, the records are sent via encrypted email. CIEE is not able to provide electronic copies of grades via a third-party Transcript Processing Portal (such as Credential Solutions or Parchment).
Note that to obtain an official grade report for courses taken through a Host University, you will need to request that record directly from the Host University. CIEE may also be able to provide copies of original Host Institution documents, when available. For students who took both CIEE-administered and host institution courses, and who are required to provide an official host institution document, this may mean that you will need to request a copy of your CIEE Academic Record and a copy of the official transcript from your host institution to provide documentation of all courses taken abroad, since CIEE-administered courses are not reported on host institution transcripts.
Request a Copy of your CIEE Academic Record
Effective March 26, 2020 until further notice, CIEE Maine staff are working remotely and have limited access to physical academic records and postal services. Processing times below have been adjusted to take this into consideration. When fulfilling request orders, we are currently sending official PDFs of the CIEE Academic Record via encrypted email to graduate schools, admissions offices, or other transcript processing authorities, rather than hard copies.
- We are unable to send official PDF grade reports directly to participants; participants can receive unofficial grade reports directly.
- Students are responsible for verifying with recipients, BEFORE filing a request with CIEE, that they will accept the CIEE Academic Record.
- Additionally, at this time, students must verify that a PDF of the CIEE Academic Record attached to an encrypted email will be accepted.
- Refunds will not be granted for processed requests where the receiver does not accept the CIEE Academic Record.
- Availability of grade reports for study prior to Spring 2003 is not guaranteed. Requests will be reviewed for availability on a case-by-case basis and may take additional time to fulfill when available.
To request an official copy of your CIEE Academic Record (CAR) (in addition to the original that is automatically sent directly to your home school or School of Record upon program completion), or an unofficial copy of your CIEE Academic Record (emailed directly to participants studying with CIEE between Spring 2003 and the present, free of charge) please print and complete the applicable fields of the CIEE Transcript Request Form and return it to the CIEE Maine Office via scanned/photo email attachment. Once we receive your request, you will receive an autoreply, and we will send a follow up confirmation once your request has been processed.
- If you are requesting only an unofficial copy, it will be sent within the “Standard” processing timeframe (15 business days) and the financial section of the Request Form may be left blank.
- If you are requesting an unofficial copy in addition to (and at the same time as) an “Expedited” official transcript request, the unofficial copy will be processed in the same timeframe as the official documents.
- Payment may be made by debit / credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
- If you have an outstanding financial or administrative obligation to CIEE, your request will not be processed until the balance has been paid in full with cleared funds and/or outstanding paperwork has been received.
- If applicable, please be sure to include with your request any additional instructions or forms your intended recipient may require CIEE to include with your grade report.
- Email and phone requests will not be accepted, as an official signature from the student is required.
Alumni are responsible for verifying with recipients, BEFORE filing a request with CIEE, that the CIEE Academic Record will be accepted for the intended purpose. Refunds will not be granted for processed requests for any reason where the receiver does not accept the grade report.
ALUMNI ACADEMIC RECORD REQUEST PROCESSING TIMES
The timelines below reflect the maximum amount of time it will take for your request to be processed by CIEE.
|Processing time||15 business days*||5 business days*|
|Delivery method||PDF attached via encrypted email, sent only to institutional representatives||PDF attached via encrypted email, sent only to institutional representatives|
|Fee||$15 per transcript||$15 per record + $25 per request for expedited service = $40|
While CIEE administered your study abroad program, your home institution officially grants the credits earned on the program toward your degree program, and as such they issue the official transcript of record for your study abroad experience. CIEE Academic Record copies include a letter of explanation and are generally accepted as supplemental, detailed documentation to your home school transcript.
CIEE Study Abroad Registration